No resolution to smart meter not communicating readings.

Level 1
    We're having much the same frustrations. Our gas and electric meters are 30ft apart, the gas can't tell the electric what we are using, it constantly freezes or zeros out. Other utility companies provide a relay booster free of charge in these circumstances but seemingly not Eon. We were heavily pressured into having these meters installed, and what they have caused is 4 months of stress and anxiety. I wish we had resisted more.
    Level 3
    @BeaSeb Hi,
    I'm now waiting for a comms hub that can send a strong enough signal to E.ONNext with my usage. My meters are quite close together but the gas meter proved harder to link with the electric meter and IHD. We got there in the end but now it's worthless unless I get proper comms with E.ONNext. There is equipment thet should solve my problem according to the unknown tech. And also he says that the engineers should not be going ahead with an installation unless there is a strong enough signal and they have the right equipment to deal wiith it.
    In your case, it seems they ignored information given to them and went ahead anyway. This has happened to me twice now. It is becoming more and more apparent that the engineers are not being given enough information. This is disgraceful. Considering we are talking about communication here it seems that between personnel it is very poor.
    I don't know what model of gas meter you have but mine gives me readings in cubic metres which I have since December sent straight to the supplier. This is then converted into kw/h for my bill. There is no monetary element to it as far as I know. Maybe the IHD does the conversion. In any case I can easily check my usage - a smart meter is not necessary. Like you I didn't want smart meters but gave in.
    Looking at the big picture re the roll-out of smart meters, I think that the energy companies have got to to get the job done and they have targets to reach, many of which have been rendered impossible by a variety of factors, one of which being the pandemic. Because of this they have in many cases chosen to fit them regardless as that then keeps their targets up to speed. I'd like to see the job description of the 'outcomes manager' I spoke to the other day.
    Last edited by Queenie; 08-02-22 at 14:07.
    Level 29
    @Queenie You raise some very important points.
    It is important to call out any case where an engineer fails to carry out their legal obligations
    I pointed out our consumer rights here

Eon Next Customer

Level 3
    @Queenie Hey there, I have had a much needed 36 hours off but I am here now (I've had a number of notifications to go through too but DMs come first 😄).
    I realise I wondered if we could ask @theunknowntech if he knew why the COMMS hub wouldn't connect to the network, but you're way ahead of me.
    I need to request more info from the smart meter team about this one to see if they have requested it from the DCC or not. I'll be in touch @Queenie . 😎

Hi Beki,
    I was wondering if there was any response yet from the metering team re the comms equipment I need as suggested by @theunknowntech . To quote - he thought I would need a SKU3 Special Installation Mesh Comms Hub and/or a T3 aerial. apparently these have to be requested directly from the DCC. Your outcomes manager was suggesting a dual band set-up but I read that these are experimental and not going to be in full use for a year or so and probably wouldn't solve a WAN problem anyway.
    Last edited by Queenie; 23-02-22 at 12:45. Reason: spelling
    Hi @Queenie, there is a ticket on your account for the DCC so the next step is just waiting for them to respond. Just a heads up the DCC isn't the quickest of services.
    Level 3
    @Beki_EONNext
    Thanks, Beki. I think the unknown tech told me that they weren't very speedy. I hope they respond soon.