Bill Received - but confusing

Received bill which included one day of new billing charges - it's sort of right, but I've never noticed before that some figures are 0.1 out and the multiples by unit cost aren't exact either. They obviously read the smart meter to more than one decimal place, but don't show it.

Energy Charges for Meter xxxxxxxxxx
    1st Oct 2022 7711.3 Smart meter reading
    2nd Oct 2022 7714.2 Smart meter reading
    Energy Used 2.8 kWh @ 47.70p/kWh £1.35
    Energy Price Guarantee 2.8 kWh @ 17.00p/kWh -£0.48
    Standing Charge 1 days @ 47.553p/day £0.48
    Subtotal of charges before VAT £1.35
    VAT @ 5% £0.07
    Total Electricity Charges £1.42

I've checked and a couple of previous bills are like this as well - not the sort of thing you notice when billed for 30/31 days.

Last edited by FPX; 03-10-22 at 17:12.
  • 11 Replies

Level 43
    Hi @FPX

It's just rounding up/down of the meter readings. Your actual meter will probably only show whole kWh only, no decimal point. The smart meters send readings to 3 decimal places, you can see this in your online account, and they're shown to one decimal place on your bill.
    My electric meter shows to one decimal place, and the gas to three - although online they show no decimal places.
    Level 91
    @FPX

Either way, it looks like rounding of figures.

As you alluded-to at the end of your opening post, the rounding up/down will be noticeable when considering just one day but after a month barely noticeable. Over the course of a contract period from opening meter reading to closing reading it would make such little difference to your total billing as to be practically non-existent.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 13
    My bill is very confusing also it seems like in one day my day usage went from from 10348 to 10407, the only thing I can think of that was done differently was I cut the grass and I did 2 loads of washing on a quick wash then cleaned the washing machine on a 60 degree was which took about 2 hrs, does this seem right because I've been charged £22.95 and that's with the some EPG taken off, I've just been out to see what the meter is reading now and it says 10410 from 10407
    Level 43
    My electric meter shows to one decimal place, and the gas to three - although online they show no decimal places.

My mistake @FPX, you're quite right that the online account replaces the decimal places with xx's, so whole units only. It's the meter readings on my IHD that shows it to 3 decimal places for both meters.

If the IHD shows the meters to 3 decimal places then that's what the meters are capable of recording and that's what they'll send. It is just rounding, apologies for giving you wrong information about what you can see in your online account, I should have checked first.
    Level 43
    My bill is very confusing also it seems like in one day my day usage went from from 10348 to 10407, the only thing I can think of that was done differently was I cut the grass and I did 2 loads of washing on a quick wash then cleaned the washing machine on a 60 degree was which took about 2 hrs, does this seem right because I've been charged £22.95 and that's with the some EPG taken off, I've just been out to see what the meter is reading now and it says 10410 from 10407

Hi @Deviljane666

Are you sure you've used that in a day or do you mean in a month?
    If I cut my grass I use about 0.8 kWh and a normal wash is about 1.2 kWh.

If you have a smart meter it might be worth downloading the Hildebrand Bright app. It can show your usage down to 30 minutes in kWh and £'s, it is very good. You'll need to make sure in your eon-next account that you've got your account set to send 30 minute reads, if you need guidance in doing that then post back.
    Level 13
    @Andy65 the 10348 reading was on the 1st October the 10407 is on the 3rd Oct
    Level 13
    @Andy65 I've been out to check my meter this morning and it's reading for day usage 10410
    Level 13
    @Andy65 normally I think I would only use that in a month maybe a bit more, all I could put it down to was the mower and the washing machine, I did a quick wash at 30 and then 2 quick 60 washes then I put the washing machine on to clean it at a normal 60 was which took approximately 2 hrs to do, I'm not very good with working things out, maybe a call to them this morning to find out what's going off