Have E.ON Next elec. smart meter but E.ON Next won't install gas smart meter. Why?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 7
    @GrahamDouglas unfortunately it is not a matter of who wants to give an answer or not, it's more to do with the fact that we have very high volumes of queries and despite me trying my best, the team will come back to me when it can.

Hi Bennie. No offence was intended in my previous message.

I am simply deeply frustrated that after *months* of trying to get a straight, honest answer---even after registering a formal complaint---I still do not know why a gas smart meter cannot be fitted. It is not my fault how the account was set up but, clearly, I am stuck with the consequences---I know I am not the only one, far from it. I'll wait to hear from you with more information (hopefully soon :-)).

Kind regards

Graham
    Level 92
    @GrahamDouglas

Do me a favour.... Just run the Citizens Advice Smart meter checker and post me a screen shot of the results please.

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

I have a sneaking suspicion the reasons may be rather different from what you have been told. I could be completely wrong, but my antennae are 'twitching'.

I also may have a solution for sorting out your account problem with the two separate accounts but won't say more until I've ruled out technical meter issues.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 10-12-22 at 16:52.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 7
    Hi @retrotecchie

Many thanks indeed. I ran that check and the results are below. Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 92
    Good... No technical reason then. If you had an older SMETS1 electric meter, pairing a newer SMETS2 gas meter to is it pretty tricky.

So, you either need to get them to merge electricity and gas into one account, which should not be as difficult as they make it out to be....

Or in theory....'move out'. Supply final meter readings and close both accounts. Wait a week or so, and then 'move in' again. Supply the meter readings you already have, so no-one is losing out anywhere. Maybe use a different email address and a variation on your name, or use a wife or partners name. Take on both fuels at the same time so they are both now on the same account. There will be no earthly excuse for having separate accounts this time, if they cited migrating you from another company was the reason.

Once you have the new account set up, then other than having to wait for an install, there remains absolutely no reason not to give you a smart gas meter.

Can't promise this method will not take a bit of time and be a bit more of a palaver, but you may want to run it by them if they keep insisting they can't merge your accounts.

But run it past them first. See what their excuse is this time.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 12-12-22 at 12:54.
    Level 7
    Hi @retrotecchie

Ha! Some interesting advice/tactics—many thanks indeed for taking the time to help/advise on this somewhat ridiculous, bordering on preposterous, problem. We have also considered switching suppliers, but that, too, is likely to be a hassle given we have just 1 smart meter installed, but I don't know without asking other suppliers.

Anyway, thanks again + all best wishes + cheers!

Graham
    Level 92
    @GrahamDouglas

Best I can do, I'm afraid, but forty years of experience in asking 'why not?' and countering excuses in my industry has often proven invaluable. My philosophy has always been one of 'give it a go' and if it doesn't work, try something else.

When a former boss used to 'sell something' to a client, then turn round an whisper in my ear 'how long will it take you to develop this?'...I got used to trying to think one jump ahead!
    Level 7
    @GrahamDouglas unfortunately it is not a matter of who wants to give an answer or not, it's more to do with the fact that we have very high volumes of queries and despite me trying my best, the team will come back to me when it can.

Also, I was off for a couple of days and nobody could have checked my invoice as I reached out to them personally.

For the research that I am made of, the reason behind not being able to switch the meter is unfortunately for the way that your account has been set up. In case of an emergency or faulty meter I believe that would be the only two reasons why they would override the system. Customer service does not have that kind of power I am afraid.

Hi

Any update on this?

Kind regards
    Graham
    Community Team
    Hey @GrahamDouglas 👋
    @Bennie_EONNext is on holiday at the moment she isn't back in until next week so I won't know if she has an update until then as I don't have access to her inbox unfortunately. Now we are actually able to fit smart meters on separate accounts, however as you already have an electric meter fitted it is unlikely that they will be able to fit gas due to there being an active smart meter in the property. I am however going to make a call and see if there has been any update or if there is an alternative solution for you.

I will let you know how I get on 😊
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 04/05/24 🏖

Community Team
    Sorry @GrahamDouglas, I just realised it's Saturday 🤦‍♀️. The department I need to call are actually closed until Monday unfortunately. Bennie is due back by then so I will see if she has had a response first and if not I will make the call on Monday and let you know where we are at with this for you 😊
    Level 7
    Sorry @GrahamDouglas, I just realised it's Saturday 🤦‍♀️. The department I need to call are actually closed until Monday unfortunately. Bennie is due back by then so I will see if she has had a response first and if not I will make the call on Monday and let you know where we are at with this for you 😊

Hi. And thanks. We now contacting Octopus to see if they can install both smart meters. If so, we'll immediately dump EONnext and move to a new supplier if that's the only way to sort out the fiasco regarding the gas smart meter.