When is 156% saving not enough

Level 56
    I signed up for the reduce usage drive. Was told 20% less was my goal. Got the email 156% less electricity used. But email says sorry you didn’t hit your target. Well at least it didn’t cost me more to turn everything off and read a book for 1hr 30 minutes

I wonder if you are another customer who has received an incorrectly worded email much like another recent poster in this thread

Suppose your baseline usage was 5kWh but you actually used 7.8kWh in the event - you would obviously have failed for the DFS event because 20% reduction is needed. I wonder if Eon Next should have stated 'you used 156 % of baseline usage' and have failed but have instead of stating this have described it in your email as 'you reduced your energy by 156%' and have failed
    Level 92
    @Mailman

The event took place over an hour and a half? 7.8kWh is an entire 24 hours usage for me. Unless I'm roasting a dinner AND running the tumble drier, I physically couldn't use 7.8kWh over the event! I'd be hard pushed to use 5kWh in that time😜🤦‍♂️🤣
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56
    @Mailman

The event took place over an hour and a half? 7.8kWh is an entire 24 hours usage for me. Unless I'm roasting a dinner AND running the tumble drier, I physically couldn't use 7.8kWh over the event! I'd be hard pushed to use 5kWh in that time😜🤦‍♂️🤣

I know that 🙄 just trying to give an example (I nearly used 10kWh to make it even easier 😆). Much more likely for most folk to use 1-2kWh in the timeframe (I know I did yesterday)

Funny you mention roast dinner and tumble drying - both have been done/are doing today. Been a busy day for juice with 2XWashing 2X heat pump tumble drying done and 1 X Air Fryer roast chicken just started (it's even on a rotisserie within the chamber).

I used only 1.8kWh for the 2 washes, an extra spin on the 1400rpm cycle (see I did remember your post about that 👍) plus 2 X tumble drying (2h 15mins drying time over the 2 loads) and a couple of those dryer balls inside the drum of the tumble dryer (heat pump type). Way more economical that the olden days. Today is up to 6.42kWh so I'm hoping to get under 10kWh maybe and live off baked beans on Monday 😉 toot toot.
    Level 21
    In October I bought 7.8 kWh on average every four days. I used a fair lot more, including solar off the roof straight to judiciously well timed choices. Its a lovely sunny day for the washing line ? Time to switch on the washing machine. Still quite sunny ? Best time all day to run the heat pump to warm the place up a bit. Late afternoon sun not enough for the heat pump ? A 0.4kW plain electric heater upstairs is about right for that. ..
    Level 21
    I reckon that we should multiply the entire financial system by j.
    Rich people and everyone else suddenly find that their $ have turned into j$. Sorry, whoops.
    Rich people who like tax havens and offshore accounting and for years have passed off their debts as imaginary or to be "refinanced" or "resold" suddenly find those imaginary debts converted to real debts which Must be paid. Some people won't like that!
    People with the ordinary sorts of small debts which you get into big trouble for, find themselves forgiven; their -$ become imaginary -j$.
    What I particularly like about it though, is what happens to my imaginary debt to society ?
    Level 92
    ...an extra spin on the 1400rpm cycle (see I did remember your post about that 👍)

Good man. Evaporating water from clothes takes 2260J/g, so the more water you wring out, the less energy is needed to dry 'em. 10 minutes on my 1600 spin cycle uses 0.1kWh. That saves 40 minutes in the drier at 0.5kWh for a big load.

Level 56
    1 X Air Fryer roast chicken just started (it's even on a rotisserie within the chamber).

Now finished skin eaten ....

Name:  Chicken_AirFryer.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  300.8 KB
    Level 92
    @Mailman

As a chicken keeper I can't be doing with chicken myself except in the occasional curry, but I can't rate air ovens with the rotisserie highly enough. They do a cracking job and at much lower energy consumption than a regular oven. Mine even has a little cage that goes on the rotisserie for doing chips, although I use it more often for roasting parsnips.

My dinner tonight was a frozen Morrison's steak pie (25 minutes in the air oven), mash (four minutes in the popty ping) and a few peas and carrots. Those were done on the hob in 5 minutes, but I used the boiling water to make the gravy. I can't recall the last time I even used a proper oven.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 03-12-23 at 19:24.