IHD not showing gas useage correctly

Level 5
    My IHD seems to have developed an issue whereby it's showing a default amount of £1.64 and 12kwh on a daily basis for gas useage.

If I turn the power off disconnect, reconnect and turn power back on it will correct the gas history information, which I assume is the correct useage, but it will then start recording at £1.64/12kwh again.

Obviously I don't want to have to reset the device each time as it's time consuming and can't be doing the unit much good.

My smart meter was installed last October. Gas took a while to settle down on the IHD but was close enough to what my billed useage was, so this latest issue is a bit disappointing.

Any ideas?
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    @CarlPentney

its under guarantee for 12 months. Demand a functioning replacement.

the data it shows comes from the meter itself via the communications hub attached to the electric meter. It’s possible the fault lies in the gas meter, and if it does then you’ll get little satisfaction as the meter will not be replaced while it records consumption accurately.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    @CarlPentney as @meldrewreborn said, you could have a chat with the customer service to gain a replacement as is under 12 months warranty. Although, my advice would be to also explore if simply remotly reload it, would be the magic trick.

This is an update that the customer service can do very easily. If you get in touch with them on social media, they will be able to send a remote update which could re-balance your IHD. If after this, you are still having problems, I would then try to get it replaced.

Let us know how you get on with it and always here if you need any further support 😁
    Level 5
    A quick update in case that helps anyone. Did an online chat with Eon and they've basically raised a ticket with the appropriate team to provide an 'update' to my IHD. However, I was warned it would take several weeks due to their backlog.
    Since then I was starting to get a realistic useage amount for gas providing I took the reading before midnight, whereafter it then reverted to £0.87, and would show that amount for every previous day - not very good.
    However, after about 20 resets it seems to have corrected itself, including the history, and useage matches my actual gas meter pretty closely.
    Will see how I get on and provide a further update as necessary!