Smart Meter Installation Saga

Level 1
    From March 2022 Eon have attempted to install smart meters at my property. Here we are in September and they still haven’t completed the installation despite so many attempts, I’ve lost count of the number to attempts.

The story begins in March 2022 when an engineer arrived and set to work replacing the elec meter which was completed without fuss. Then came the gas meter and I was told that there was a problem with the gas box and he couldn’t fit it, speak to SGN was the reply they will need to fit it.

i spoke to SGN that day and was advise that no it is your suppliers remit to replace the gas meter. Upon advising eon of this they then rescheduled another visit.

Around a few weeks later an engineer arrives with a auditor in tow, i was asked if it was ok if the auditor watched the installation, i said yes of course. The engineer then set to work replacing the gas meter and again replacing the elec meter under the watchful eye of the auditor. Around an hour and a half later I was made aware that the smart meter system was down and connecting the meters to the system wasn’t possible at the time and another appointment would need to be scheduled.

So a few weeks later the day comes, it’s an afternoon on a Friday and low an behold the appointment gets cancelled 15 minutes before it’s due to start! No text or email
    notification to advise of this, just a refresh of the webpage tells me the bad news. I complained to Eon regarding this as it’s unacceptable.

Out of the blue a few weeks later an engineer turns up at the door! My wife is in the house and calls me to give me more bad news… the elec meter wasn’t fitted correctly at the previous attempt and it would need to be ripped out and replaced again. So that goes ahead, the engineer then advises that he won’t have time to change out the gas meter and he needs to go for lunch and get to another appointment. So the “smart” meters remain not smart for the time being.

Around 3 weeks later I am I putting meter readings into the app and once the statement appears I’m shocked at the gas usage! It’s advising 94 units of gas have been used in a short space of time… alarm bells start ringing and after some detective work it turns out that Eon have the wrong serial number for my gas meter. Seems that the meter was put through has having been replaced in the system but never was.

This brings us to today, again the appointment has been cancelled at short notice by Eon. I have therefore given up as I cannot trust Eon to turn up when they say they will.

Hopefully the next supplier with have more joy
    Last edited by RossM; 09-09-22 at 13:55. Reason: Missing entry
  • 1 Reply

Level 91
    @RossM

What an absolute nightmare of a story. I can well understand why you’ll be seeking another supplier and I would do the same.

The reality is though that these things can, and will, happen to someone whoever the supplier is and we end up moving to a new supplier we’re completely happy with. But, at the same time, someone else will be moving from them to our old supplier for similar reasons. Sometimes you just can’t win.

I really hope you get this resolved soon.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.