Bereavement refund

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    Hi I appreciate the responses / suggestion- Anasa has just advised me that EON Next have issued a cheque made out to "the executor" I previously declined the offer of the cheque being made out to "The executor " with 2 other advisors as I was unable to cash the cheque as the bank had closed my mums account on her death, so the cheque is worthless (taking my chances of paying in at a machine feels deceitful )
    I feel that EON Next has issued the cheque as an easy get out and not taken onboard my request or situation or our location law
    The cheque is being sent to my postal address -so its double standard that the wont put my name on the cheque.
    Why are EON Next not being transparent when I have requested on various times a copy of a contract / terms and conditions stating their refund policy
    This matter is not concluded so I'm still presuming a mutual resolve - please advise
    Level 91
    @DonnaH

In England the correct procedure is for bank accounts of the deceased to be immediately frozen the executor or administrator (no will) opens a bank account in the name of “executor / administrator of deceased”. The bank account of the deceased cannot be used as you wish to do.

Scottish law I suspect is similar .

the approach of Eon Next is technically correct but perhaps a bit officious given the likely sum involved. I’ve known banks release £10,000 plus with an indemnity without the probate court appointing an executor/ administrator.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    I cannot understand why Eon Next persist with their approach in this type of matter. An Indemnity signed by the person collecting the refund protects their (Next's) position sufficiently. By making refunds payable to the Administrator / executor (or similar in Scotland) automatically presumes that an application for probate will have been made. Many ( i suspect 50+%) small estates will be dealt with by family members with no lawyers or probate procedures, given sensible cooperation with the organisations involved.

Perhaps @Anasa_EONNext you could give an explanation of why Eon Next persist in being awkward, because its beyond my comprehension.