Best current fixed tariffs?

Level 9
    So I've not kept my eye on my account for a while and just realised I have gone to variable tariff and paying for what I use and not direct debit.

I've contacted support who have confirmed this and told me I can change tariff from my online account, but every time I go to browse the tariffs for my post code it just says "Somethings gone wrong" and to contact support.

It's possible I can get this sorted out over email but as I can't see any offered tariffs it's a bit difficult to decide!!

I guess the other option is to stay on variable but to set up the direct debit again (it looks like I can at least to that without getting an error!)

PS if it makes any difference I am still over £700 in credit, my monthly DD was only about £36.....
  • 12 Replies

Level 78
    Hi @MCeeJay Just checked on my online account and had no problem seeing all tariffs. It's a strange one.
    Try clearing browser cache, and idealistically soft boot device, then have another go. 👴 I'll keep fingers crossed 😉.
    Level 91
    @MCeeJay

Direct debit, which can be fixed monthly (default) or pay after billing (set through customer services) is about 7% cheaper than paying by non direct debit. There are I think some fixed prices available, slightly cheaper than the variable flex tariff, with an exit fee (but only if you switch to another supplier).

I'm not quite clear how your account can be moved to non Direct Debit without you being advised (I'm assuming you were previously on Direct Debit), and given on the face of it, that its costing you more money I think you have grounds for complaint.

Your credit is clearly too large by any normal standards - Martin Lewis would say 3 months DD is plenty -so credit balance of circa £100. If you arm yourself with a current reading before you call you are fully entitled to get it all back, but given winter approaches, telling them (not asking) for £600 back is entirely reasonable.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 18-10-23 at 15:56.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 56
    So I've not kept my eye on my account for a while and just realised I have gone to variable tariff and paying for what I use and not direct debit.

I think you are stating that your curent tariff is the Next Flex variable tariff PORB (payment on receipt of bill)? If you are then is a more expensive way of paying than Next Flex variable tariff DD (either fixed DD or variable DD). If you want the latter option via variable DD then you MUST contact Eon Next CS.
    Level 9
    @Mailman

Apologies, very poor choice of words in my OP, I should have been more clear, my FIXED DD, has gone, I’m assuming my DD is still in place but I am paying for what I use monthly - although even that is not very clear when I log into my account. All email support would say is that I’d have to pick another tariff, but I cannot see them, the page errors every time I try.

I’m sure there used to be a recommended tariff with side by side comparisons the last time I logged into my account…..
    Level 91
    @MCeeJay

If you are on a fix then the only online offer would be the variable flex, because you can always exit a fix with no penalty, so long as you stay.. However once on that Flex you should , perhaps after a time, be able to see the current fix offer(s).. I think they are marginally lower than the flex rates.
    Level 56
    @Mailman

I’m assuming my DD is still in place but I am paying for what I use monthly - although even that is not very clear when I log into my account.

OK, this one is easy to answer.

Go to your home page after you have logged on. Look under the section My Bills 'You're Currently Paying'

I see this on mine

Name:  MyBills.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  37.8 KB

This confirms I am paying a variable amount arising from different usage each month. If you now go to your 'Manage my payments' section, it will confirm (or not) if you have a direct debit set up to fund your energy account. Mine does because I arranged (via phone) for Eon Next to take a VDD (Variable Direct Debit) payment each month Debit.

Name:  PaymentDetails.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  228.9 KB

You now need to be clear what tariff you are currently on and it should be shown on the account summary page in the 'Tariff' section.
    Name:  NextLoyalty.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  39.5 KB
    Again this confirms that I am on the tariff I signed up for a few months ago (Next Loyalty Fixed). So I am on a Fixed tariff product paying for my usage by Variable Direct Debit payments (taken 17 days after the statement production).

Don't expect Eon Next to list all the tariffs available to you on this account summary page to consider unless you jump through the menu hoops where you can see all the tariffs potentially available to you ATM.

I know I can via:

Energy and Tariffs top menu ->
    Our Tariffs ->
    Scroll all the way down to Terms and Conditions. Just above this you will see 'Want to See what energy tariffs we have?'

either that or go directly via this link
    Last edited by Mailman; 18-10-23 at 22:00.
    Level 9
    @Mailman Thanks for that, my 'You're currently paying' showed the same as your screenshot, I've gone through 'pay a fixed amount' which then prompted me to set up a direct debit, I thought it would already be set up but hadn't checked in 'manage my payments' before I set up the fixed amounts.

Tariffs..... there is nothing in my online account that shows what tariff I'm on or what rates I am currently paying, I'm sure something has changed here as it definitely showed this before, along with suggestions of tariffs I could switch to (with the ability to switch if I wanted to) and also showing the comparisons for the rates.

Your direct link shows the tariffs for me (although I can't see how to switch), but if I go to the available tariffs via my online account it just says 'something has gone wrong' after I have entered my postcode and address.

All quite frustrating really, I have a feeling I'm going to have to call support, email support has proved pretty useless to me so far (I still have an email chain from September 2022 where they couldn't even answer a simple question!).
    Level 56
    @MCeeJay

Also check messages within your account you may have missed something important otherwise best option is to make contact with customer services pronto and have your online account open at the same time so that you can lead them through it.

Level 9
    @MCeeJay

Also check messages within your account you may have missed something important otherwise best option is to make contact with customer services pronto and have your online account open at the same time so that you can lead them through it.

Sorted over the phone, apparently there was no tariff attached to my account. I can now see my Next Flex tariff and the available fixed ones 👍

Unfortunately this means I am now paying more than the £36 a month I was paying as I'm over £700 in credit - but I have asked for £500 of that to be refunded now.

Thanks all for your help, I was VERY confused!!!