Winter Support Scheme

View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    @Mailman

OK I see what you are getting at. The winter deal only covers the winter. But why pay them money in advance of when you need to? The money could sit in your (preferably a savings ) bank account until its needed.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 6
    @Mailman

I'm not quite sure I understand. I’ve been put on the 50% tariff as I have a debt in my account (first time in over a decade after becoming unwell) plus I have more money going out than coming in. So, the details for me is as long as I stick to my fixed DD until the end of March when the tariff ends and if there is still a debt on my account, the debt is wiped.
    Level 91
    … The money could sit in your (preferably a savings ) bank account until it’s needed.

Maybe it’s a mindset thing. Like most folks, I’ve lived most of my life in debt. Now retired, I am debt free. I could withdraw my credit balance and put it the bank but I like the security of the buffer.

Sometimes when my credit card balance is out of my debt comfort zone I pay it off before I even get the bill.

Maybe if there was a lot of money to be gained in interest I would have a different mindset.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 57
    @Mailman

I'm not quite sure I understand. I’ve been put on the 50% tariff as I have a debt in my account (first time in over a decade after becoming unwell) plus I have more money going out than coming in. So, the details for me is as long as I stick to my fixed DD until the end of March when the tariff ends and if there is still a debt on my account, the debt is wiped.

Good point re the 50% deal and the potential debt write-off if you stick to the payments between now and 1/4/24. 👍

I shall amend my previous post accordingly.
    Level 6
    Good point re the 50% deal and the potential debt write-off if you stick to the payments between now and 1/4/24. 👍

I shall amend my previous post accordingly.

Eon makes all these rules, but they are not always straightforward. Did you receive a new email from them with your new tariff details, and if so was the information clear?

I do wonder sometimes if they send different information to different people causing a whole lot of confusion…
    Level 57
    Eon makes all these rules, but they are not always straightforward. Did you receive a new email from them with your new tariff details, and if so was the information clear?

I do wonder sometimes if they send different information to different people causing a whole lot of confusion…

The rules do appear to be slightly different for the 25% version both in terms of eligibility and potential debt write-off compared to the 50%. I did get an emaiI that held no surprises (fixed DD, smart meter etc) but I must admit to thinking the only difference was the % reduction - that was me being lazy 😳
    Last edited by Mailman; 01-11-23 at 22:50.
    Level 6
    The rules do appear to be slightly different for the 25% version both in terms of eligibility and potential debt write-off compared to the 50%. I did get an emaiI that held no surprises (fixed DD, smart meter etc) but I must admit to thinking the only difference was the % reduction - that was me being lazy 😳

I see, well I’m pleased that you have read the email stating their terms for the 25%. I’m assuming that you was in credit hence the 25% tariff, and yes a slightly different rule with regards to the debt write off. However, I’m pleased that you have been offered this tariff and will benefit from a reduced DD until end of March 24.
    Level 57
    @Mailman

OK I see what you are getting at. The winter deal only covers the winter. But why pay them money in advance of when you need to? The money could sit in your (preferably a savings ) bank account until its needed.

The interest is not really going to be substantial enough to follow through on this especially when I consider I'll be paying circa £200 less on my energy bills over the next 5 months. Besides, I don't know if Eon Next will re-calculate their frugal DD calculation (currently too little) to a recalculation that over-compensates the other way. 🤔

Interestingly, after my 1st November transactions raised today for coverage up to 31st October now sees me in debit (about £108). The VDD that I had setup looks like it has been superceded by a fixed DD so I'll see how Eon Next treats this latest bill when I see my statement in the morning.😁
    Last edited by Mailman; 01-11-23 at 23:14.
    Level 57
    I’m assuming that you was in credit hence the 25% tariff, and yes a slightly different rule with regards to the debt write off. However, I’m pleased that you have been offered this tariff and will benefit from a reduced DD until end of March 24.

No debt on the account but yes otherwise I'd be in the same position as yourself possibly. I'm very happy with a 25% reduction as I wasn't expecting it.