Will turning the power off affect the meter's clock?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 5
    The clock on my meter is about 25 minutes slow. I am thinking that this may correspond to the time when I switched the power off whilst I installed a new light switch in a room. Am I correct? Also, has anyone any idea if/how you readjust the clock?
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    @Lescaut

You would have switched the power off by a switch or breaker AFTER the meter. You would (or should) be unable to remove power from the meter itself. You could identify the type of your meter and do an internet search to see if you can adjust the clock.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Community Team
    Hey @Lescaut 👋

Did you manage to find an answer for this? It might be helpful for others on the forum who could be experiencing something similar 😊
    Knowledge is power, community is strength, and positive attitude is everything 💜
    Level 28
    Hey @Lescaut 👋

Did you manage to find an answer for this? It might be helpful for others on the forum who could be experiencing something similar 😊
    According to my meter's user manual the time is something that is set by the electricity supplier issuing a "set clock on ESME" command

(Mine's a SMETS2 meter, so I don't know it there could be differences for SMETS1☹️)

3.5.1 Accuracy
    The calendar clock uses an internal crystal as time base.

The crystal features a maximum deviation of 0.5 s per day (<6 ppm) i.e. maximum deviation of the calendar clock is 15 seconds after 30 days.

The clock maintains its accuracy in accordance with the requirements of
    SMETS2 and GBCS.

The calendar clock can only be set with the GBCS command ECS70 "Set Clock on ESME" and will automatically synchronise with the communications hub every 24 hours and on power-up.

The setting of the time is recorded in the standard event log.

The approach is as follows:

* The energy supplier sends a Set Clock command with the supplier’s current time and a future time (reflecting a time tolerance) in the command; and

* if, when the meter receives the command, the communications hub’s time is within tolerance of the energy supplier’s time, the meter aligns itself to the communications hub’s time and treats its time as reliable.

Otherwise the meter treats its time as unreliable
    Last edited by geoffers; 25-09-23 at 04:26.