Electricity consumption after installation of new fridge freezer.

View Tag Cloud
    Level 92
    @wizzo227

A failing compressor in a very old appliance can easily draw the sort of power @meldrewreborn quoted. I have a brand new and rather large fridge freezer, bought two years ago and A++ rated. The energy rating plate says 402kWh/year typical consumption. A fifteen year old appliance can easily use double that, and more if the compressor is having to run almost constantly. So the figures are completely believable. I had an old (circa 1980) and very small chest freezer inherited from a family member that was rated at a nominal 390kWh a year but actually ran almost constantly because of low refrigerant and a knackered lid seal. A plug in monitor showed a consumption of almost 2.1kWh per day, or 760kWh a year. Needless to say getting shot of it was a sound decision.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @wizzo227

I know its difficult to believe but those are the facts.

What first put me on to the fact that the old (34 years+) FREEZER was that the bottom of the microwave which sits above was very warm to the touch, even first thing in the morning. So i used my through plug meter to measure its consumption and of the microwave too. I don't have the measurements any longer but the new Freezer is rated at 258kWh per annum. What is undeniable is that my electricty consumption has significantly dropped since the installation of the new freezer. The consumption shown for nov /dec 2023 is particularly low because we were away for 4 weeks in that period - hence for me very low consumption.Name:  Electricityconsumptionapr24.PNG
Views: 149
Size:  10.9 KB
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 10
    As a point of interest, we recently had to replace our 12 year old fridge/freezer when we found milk had gone off after a week away, and the wine wasn't chilled after 24 hours. (surprise surprise, the real clue the fridge/freezer wasn't working was the wine, not the milk 😂)

The old f/f was rated at 220 kW/h per year, which I only discovered when we were looking to replace it, but on checking the consumption as shown by the smart plug, it was actually using over 0.9 kW/h per day, or about 350 kW/h per year. The new f/f, same size and make, is rated as 199 kW/h per year, but after a month is averaging between 0.3 and 0.4 kW/h per day which is less than 150 kW/h per year, so even less than what it is rated at!!
    Level 91
    @solidbond

I suppose the ratings are based on tests in temperature controlled environment, and the results intended to give consumers and indication of efficiency rather than a guarantee of actual consumption levels. So a bit like cars - the claimed mileage range for an EV never relates to real life.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

There is also a vast efficiency difference if the freezer is packed pretty full or if you are mostly freezing air. If I've not got much food in stock, I fill the empty space with medical transportation cooling packs. I got a job lot free from the local surgery as they were awash with them during the COViD vaccination sessions. Picnic cooler box ice packs are equally effective.

Moving my fridge freezer from the cupboard under the stairs at a pretty steady 18°C (generated by the heat from the back of the freezer, mostly) to putting it out in the utility at an average temperature of around 10°C makes a noticeable difference to how often the compressor needs to kick in. It also warms the utility very slightly. Win win 👍