New smart meter l

View Tag Cloud
    Level 56
    @Scarborough

The other thing worth a quick check...make sure your gas meter serial number agrees with the meter serial number shown on your account.

This happened to me when I switched to Eon Next in October 2021 (although this was for Electricity). I believe Eon Next received an incorrect industry data flow for my meters from the previous supplier (Bulb) but I managed to get it sorted out very quickly after having noticed that the Meter Serial Number for the electric meter was for the previous meter rather then the smart meter! Once that was changed (within days after a phone call and a couple of emails) I was able to enter my opening reads.
    Level 3
    Thank you, have checked all that and everything matches so looks as if I'll just have to wait.
    Level 1
    Yes, I think this is the case but the new meter was at 0 so I will have to keep trying to get them to do a reading. The reading shows on my IHD so don't understand why they can't do it.

The readings on your IHD use a small local network (called the Home Area Network or HAN) that operates between the meter/s and the IHD. As long at you IHD is in range (approx 15m) then you will see the updates. It uses something extremely similar to WiFi called Zigbee.

The energy company however gets the meter readings from a special network thats referred to as the WAN. This relies on mobile phone tech in the South or long wave radio in the North. As you have probably experienced, radio communications can suffer interference which can mean that the meter is sometimes not able to successfully send meter readings. Even if the meter successfully connects, there is a myriad of hurdles for the data to jump through before it gets to your supplier. All these take time to iron out which is why new meters seem to take ages to come online i.e. you see the readings in your account. Theres a rant here about private companies taking our money and not delivering but I will spare you!

The main take away from this is yes, your IHD is working. But that doesn't mean your readings are getting through to your supplier. They may be getting sent on the WAN but being delivered down a black hole. Its frustrating but there's nothing you can do but wait for it all to be figured out by these companies.

Sources:
    https://www.smartme.co.uk/how-they-work.html
    https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/our-smart...nications-hub/ (scroll down to FAQs for the best information)
    Last edited by RichHaynes; 07-01-23 at 13:25. Reason: Added sources
    Community Team
    @Scarborough Hey👋 It's been a while - just checking to see how you're getting on with the smart meters? It would be great to hear an update 😀
    🌳Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable Future 🌳