E On Next will not let me pay my gas bill.

Level 1
    I've recently moved to a new address. I contacted E-On Next to inform them of my move. I have brought my contract over with me to the new address and my Dec bill is my first bill in my new home. My electricity and gas is there. However, my gas bill and the ability to send gas meter reading has disappeared from my bill. I have contacted E On Next customer service 5 times and they keep telling me the company who supplied the gas to the resident before me (EDF) has a hold on the gas and will not release it to E On Next. However I have phoned EDF 3 times and each time they tell me there's no hold on the account and it is there for E on next to take over. As you'll know these phone calls take between 40 mins to 1 hours 20 mins. When you combine the waiting on hold and talk to an adviser. I asked E On Next to escalate this case and that was over a week ago and I've no heard a word. The last time I phoned EDF they kinda accused me of wasting their time with the multiple calls. This is beginning to have a serious negative effect on my emotions. ALL I want to do is pay and keep on top of my bills.

Please can someone offer some advice how to proceed? Thanks
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 27-12-22 at 11:06. Reason: Grammar
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 56
    Best Answer
    Problems almost always arise when people move and fail to register with the existing supplier at the new address after having assumed that they can just deal with the supplier from the old address. Yes you can move to your preferred supplier (Eon Next) once this intial registration has taken place with the incumbent supplier (EDF). At least this was my understanding of the situation when you move suppliers although things may have changed in the last 12 months.

As you have a December bill, what date does your supply start from (i.e. the date of your opening reading?) and was this the same as your moving in date? If there is a gap of a some days/weeks then technically EDF will have been your supplier for this interim period. The fact that EDF have told you that 'it is there for Eon Next to take over' inplies that EDF is still your supplier for at least Gas (and possibly Electricity too as well).

I'd do a check on 'Who is your Gas Supplier' and do the same for electricity as well via the links in Ofgem before proceeding further. If both are still listed as being at EDF then you need to ensure that an account with EDF has been created before proceeding with the switch process for both utilities successfully.
    Last edited by Mailman; 27-12-22 at 17:44.
    Level 92
    Yup, as @Mailman says, you will also need to be the named account holder with the previous supplier.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56
    @JimmyLogan

Further to what I said earlier, you needed to initiate a 'Change of Tenancy' request with EDF first (i.e. 'I am moving into the property that you currently supply') before initiating the 'Change of Supplier' process (i.e. 'I want another firm to be my energy supplier)
    Level 1
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. My mistake was to think E On Next would automatically assume control of both as they had at my previous address.
    I was too caught up with wondering why E On Next had taken over and sending me Electric Bills. A quick check using link provided shows
    EDF Energy Customers Limited / Scotland Gas Networks Plc are my current gas suppliers. I now have the info to proceed and complete my switch.

Many many thanks.
    @Mailman Absolutely spot on and great support here!
    @JimmyLogan - Let us know how you get on and a big warm welcome awaits you when you come over. ☺️