Smetz1 and wrong registers for Day and Night

Level 1
    My SMETZ1 smart meter started to provide EON with remote readings in October. Since then something has gone wrong and the IMP R01 register is now totting up day time usage and IMP R02 register the night use. This had been the other way around ever since the meter was installed in 2016 (different supplier though). I'm trying to get this corrected through Customer services but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, is it a common problem etc.?
    I don't actually use much electric at night (having an Eco7 meter was just a legacy thing when I bought the house) so the day reading has always been about X3 the night. This has already led to one attempt to land me with a massive bill, keen to have it sorted.
  • 4 Replies

Level 91
    @TKB

I’m not familiar with such things but I’ll tag our volunteer smart meter expert @theunknowntech who will hopefully see this and be able to offer some thoughts.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @TKB
    never had E7 but thought R1 was day time. Perhaps it was wrong before. You could and probably switch to a single rate tariff which would not require a meter change, they just charge R1 & R2 at the same rate but would cut your standing charge.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    l would love to get rid of the stupid thing but my two-year tariff (which compared to current prices is dirt cheap) doesn't expire until September next year so I'm a little stuck with it until then.
    On the R1 being Day rate, I've now done some digging on the internet and a couple of Suppliers and even Citizens Advice say for the Smetz1 meter I have R1 is normally night rate. I think with the Smetz2 meters installed after 2018 R1 is day rate as you say. I'm guessing the meter underwent an Over The Air update by the Data Communication Company and somewhere in that process either DCC or EOn have got things wrong. Proving painful to get sorted out (now two weeks in) so was hoping someone on here had had a similar issue.
    Level 91
    @TKB

We live and learn.

Its a message to customer services then, giving all the appropriate details and photo's of the meter readings, then wait. This will probably be a bit complicated so eventually you might need to raise a complaint. Keep all your messages and replies.

Its one of those things that you would think was standardised across the whole industry. But evidently isn't. I presume that your bills are now very low so there might not be too much of an incentive to get it corrected!!

😜😉

Last edited by meldrewreborn; 26-11-22 at 18:59.