Bereavement nightmare bills

Level 1
    My mother has been dead 2 years and she was forced to have Eon as a supplier in her HMO residence. Despite giving meter readings for no use (just turning the light on to read the meter once every 8 months), NO ELECTRICITY has been used. I spoke to the bereavement team 2 years ago. Now I am getting £1,000 bills for a VACANT PROPERTY. Just done an online chat and after 20 mins she now tells me she can't help. My meter readings haven't been entered and I need to speak to bereavement. Seeing your tags, they want Power of Attorney. I have POA . You are a miserable lot, you are causing MASSIVE STRESS, GRIEF AND ANNOYANCE you clearly are after you 5.8 Billion profit. Empty property £1k? REALLY? I need to ring the Ombudsman. WILL CANCEL as soon as I can disentangle myself from you, if I havent been jailed for a CHARGE that doesn't exist.
  • 4 Replies

Head of Community
    Hey @furiouscustomer

This doesn't sound good at all and certainly not how we'd want you to feel. With it being over 2 years ago, I've a feeling the account may be with E.ON rather than E.ON Next but let's see what we can do to get you some help.

Do you want to send me a private message with the account details on so I can take a look? Just want to make sure we keep all your details secure and not posted publicly.

I'm around for the next few hours but not to worry if you don't have time before then, I'll check back over the weekend so we can get this looked at ASAP.

Thanks

Hannah - here to spread positive energy
    Level 1
    Hi Hannah, are you there? YET ANOTHER problem and being threatened with debt collection charge ....
    Level 91
    @furiouscustomer

When your mother died (my condolences) her liability ceased, and the energy charges become the liability of her estate and reasonable charges for energy actually consumed have to be met from the estate.

Perhaps if you explained the HMO reference and whether your mother lived in a small part of the house with others or just alone would help.

An account in the name of the person dealing with the estate should have been set up from the date of her death - was it? Have regular readings been submitted to the energy company - you say you've been taking them.

Why are the charges so large? The standing charges only run to perhaps £300 per annum at current rates if there is gas and electricity, and would have been much lower than that lower for the past 2 years. If no units are being used why are the charges so high? Are the bills estimates rather than being on your own readings.

A power of attorney has no relevance once your mother died. Presumably you have a death certificate. Has the energy supplier seen that? That would merely confirm your mothers death to the energy supplier. Then was her account in credit or debit? If it was in credit the estate is entitled to that. If it was in debit that is owed to the energy supplier, along with properly calculated charges for the period since her passing.

I've dealt with 4 deaths through the entire probate process (its not always required though) and can offer advice to help through this situation, but we need to understand fully what is going on -or not going on.
    Head of Community
    Hi @furiouscustomer

Sorry for the delay, I've been off so just catching up.

It looks like you spoke to someone yesterday, did this get things sorted? If not please let me know and I'll get everything looked at for you.

I'm heading over to the other thread around bereavement now to add some updates as it's so disappointing to read about everyone's experiences.

Thanks

Hannah