Why didn't I pay for electricity for nearly a year!

Level 1
    In the summer, I entered a meter reading and noticed that my account was nearly £2,000 in credit. Yes, I know you tend to have more in the summer but this seemed excessive. So I reduced the direct debit down a bit.

I've just realised why it was so high now - E.on hadn't been taking any payments from Dec 2020 until Oct 2021 - when they took £1,000 which is fine.

But any idea why there stopped taking electricity payments for so long? Have they had accounting systems problems/changes? Gas was going out fine every month.
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    @robnicholson Hey there, Beki here 👋 This can happen when we have held your bills for some time, if there has been a meter exchange or something that would affect the billing; it can even happen when there is a change of tariff for example. I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused and hope that the issue has now been resolved, but if there is anything outstanding that needs to be looked into, you can pop me a private message with your details and I'll look into it for you!
    Level 1
    @robnicholson
    The word 'inefficiency' springs to mind.
    We moved into a house in August and reported that the gas smart meter was not working
    - didn't communicate with the monitor
    - had a blank screen on the meter so readings could not be taken manually.
    They confirmed that they had not been able to communicate with the meter since June and would send someone out to fix the problem.

Here we are 4 months later and after 4 reminders on my part they still have not sent anyone out, and I am not paying anything for gas because they have no way of telling me what we are using.