Smart Meters not commissioned and IHD not working

Level 5
    I had SMETS2 Smart Meters installed in 2020 by British Gas who I was supplied by at the time. The meters successfully submitted readings but the IHD never worked.

I then moved to EDF in 2021 and they advised me the meters were not commissioned correctly and could not send meter readings (IHD still not working). They sent replacement IHDs which did not work. Engineers were sent who wasted several hours on the phone to tech support but no connection could be made. When they did leave I was fobbed off with "give it a few weeks to settle the connection". Months later EDF admitted the meters were faulty and gave me £50 in compensation.

I moved to EON Next in 2023 and, unsurprisingly, the meters do not submit readings and IHD does not work.

How do I get the smart meters replaced, as they are clearly faulty and 3 companies have been unable to do anything with them so far...?
    Last edited by Chihuabacca; 25-03-24 at 09:40.
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    @Chihuabacca

Your first port of call ought to be Customer Service. You can find ways of contacting them by clicking on Contact Us in the purple section at the bottom of this page. They will probably say they'll pass the details to the Smart Meter Team. After that, it's anybody's guess. If you can read the meters and submit manual readings then you will be a low priority. You may get lucky if there's some meter work being done in your area and they can attend to your issue whilst they're there. Best of luck and please keep us informed of any updates.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 5
    @Chihuabacca

Your first port of call ought to be Customer Service. You can find ways of contacting them by clicking on Contact Us in the purple section at the bottom of this page. They will probably say they'll pass the details to the Smart Meter Team. After that, it's anybody's guess. If you can read the meters and submit manual readings then you will be a low priority. You may get lucky if there's some meter work being done in your area and they can attend to your issue whilst they're there. Best of luck and please keep us informed of any updates.
    I raised it with CS via WhatsApp over 3 months ago. They just keep stalling and referring to their Smart Meter Team.
    Level 91
    @Chihuabacca

You could escalate by raising a complaint via email to unhappy@eonnext.com detailing your correspondence with them thus far. No guarantee it will hasten things but always worth a punt.