1.75£ standing charge gas (prepayment meter)

Level 1
    I am a new occupier since almost a week and I’m paying 1.75£ standing charge of the gas from a prepayment meter. I calculated this figure based on the gas credit going down of that amount while the gas was off for the entire night.

1.75£ standing charge per day goes beyond any common sense.

Does anyone have a clue that justifies this ridiculous cost?
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    I know next to nothing about pre-pay meters but if it was me I would check things over a longer period. Why not take a meter reading and write down your credit balance next to it. Check again at 24 and 48 hours, logging the meter reading and the balance, and see if the usage and amount of money taken tallies with your tariff rates and daily charge.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    I calculate 1.75£ systematically for a couple of days based on boiler being off for the entire night until I wake up, also today. On top of this there is the hot water consumption cost I see is (almost) instantly rated. This is has made me spend 10£ in about 3 days already for just using a little of heating and hot water.

Another thing is that I don’t see how much the standing charge is, both from the gas meter display and the supplier info letter.
    Level 91
    @Elpicard

Standing charges for gas are pretty standard across the country and currently are from 40.4p per day up to 40.42p per day for pre payment customers. (VAT inclusive).

In April more variation will apply (30.78 p to 32.04p per day VAT inc.)

Something (or a number of things) are wrong here. Did you take over a meter key/card from the previous occupier? They might have been in debt and having to repay that. Normally this is done at around £5 per week - that would equate to £0.71 p per day. Adding on the correct standing charge that would come to £1.21 per day before using any gas.

I think you need to contact customer services and if necessary set up your own account. Contact details are shown in the box below. Even if my suggestion as to the cause is not correct, you need to get this sorted and that will require making contact.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.