Be Aware

Level 5
    @Mailman

It appears from your post that E.on are more explicit when dealing with new tariffs when an old ones expire. In my case it was an unsolicited suggestion on my monthly statement [without the necessary provisos in my opinion] that I could save money when in fact this proved not to be the case.
    Level 92
    @Rambo14

The fact that it says 'could' instead of 'will' will prompt most folk to perhaps have a look at options. As you have weighed up the alternatives, as have many of us, you can make your own choice. Clearly you can't make the mooted savings. Others may have different circumstances which may give different figures. YMMV and 'caveat emptor' spring to mind.

The 'options' on the statement are very generic. The only way to calculate specific outcomes is to do the calculations based on your own figures and then request an explicit quote. Some folk will be better off, others not so. But no-one is twisting your arm.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @Rambo14

The problem with all this is that we only have the full facts in retrospect- when the relative time periods for ant fixed contracts have finished. Everything else is an opinion based on some, but not complete, knowledge of the future.

I lost out on a fixed deal that I'd entered into in 2022 in anticipation of sky high OFGEM gas prices, when Liz Truss unexpectedly rolled out the EPG and my calculations and predictions went for a ball of chalk. There was no chance of any complaint and I had to take a hit in my wallet. I'm afraid that customers have to take more responsibility for tariff selection, rather than expecting their supplier(s) to do it for them.

Your desire to help other customers is admirable, but I'm not with you on this one.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 56
    @Mailman

It appears from your post that E.on are more explicit when dealing with new tariffs when an old ones expire. In my case it was an unsolicited suggestion on my monthly statement [without the necessary provisos in my opinion] that I could save money when in fact this proved not to be the case.

I'm not sure if Eon Next are necessarily being more explicit for the situation I am in (in the last 1.5 month of current fix). My current fix (Next Winter Support 25) is lower (in terms of the unit tariffs) than anything currently available right now which is why I've not seen an invitation to 'explore' other options till now. It is also the reason why I'm not seeing the communication that is potentially bothersome as I'm already paying a lower unit tariff than anything else available to me right now.

Name:  SavingMoney.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  34.7 KB
    I see nothing particularly sinister in Eon Next pointing out that you are either paying the lowest possible unit tariff with them or you are not. They even tell me I could save money by moving to a different tariff offered by another supplier (again true).
    Level 5
    @Mailman

The point is, in my situation, E.on suggested that savings could be made when this was not the case. No warning was given that I should check its calculations.
    Level 5
    @retrotecchie

Why quote a figure at all if it is meaningless? In my case it was £93.30 which after closer scrutiny by E.on [at my request] reduced to £2.00. Also, no mention or warning was given that my current tariff could reduce in April or that the suggested tariff had a withdrawal penalty [the current one is penalty free]. I appreciate "buyer beware" but customers who are more trusting could be mislead into a more expensive contract.
    Level 91
    @Rambo14

As customers we're not all alike and our level of consumption and mix of fuels means that examples will be used . It's just like watching the adverts on TV - the advertisers are trying to sell you something. Its up to the customer to decide whether they want to purchase. In an ideal world we might have the same degree of ability to differentiate between the deal on offer, but we're not.
    Level 56
    Buying energy in many respects is no different to any purchase and guidelines for customers are readily out there such as this

Ofgem Guide

What to do though with the disadvantaged members of society that are unable (for a variety of reasons) to make an informed decision? Perhaps a caring family member who is well-informed can help. That is what I do with my in-laws meaning that I talk to them about the meaning of the frequent energy-related news items - such as we are about to see in the next day or so (new April Ofgem cap numbers). Not sure what the energy suppliers are supposed to do differently to what they already do TBH. How many folk really look closely at T & C of tariffs they sign up for and how many customers still think that a fixed tariff DD means that is all they will ever pay?
    Level 91
    @Mailman

I think that the vast majority of the population don't sign up to anything - they just stick with their existing supplier on variable tariffs. This has been an OK deal for thepast 3/4 years, but it used to be that a price capped deal was the most expensive option - prior to 2020.