Gas meter outside

Level 1
    So my gas meter outside isn't working for sure the numbers don't seem to move at all it's been like that now for over 2 years when I first noticed I contacted them immediately and also emailed them about it they said they'd get someone to fix it but 2 years on it's still the same issues what should I do I still pay my basic gas every month but it should be way more expensive in what I'm paying
  • 4 Replies

Level 91
    @Garry

They must have been estimating your bills for the last two years then. Have you not contacted customer service about it during those two years? If not then it might be a good idea. Then again, it sounds like you're benefitting if you think you should be paying more than you are. Hopefully there is still a record of you reporting the fact that it is frozen.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    thanks Joe for responding yeah I contacted them initially in the begging via email about the issue and called them about it I feel though they where more interested in me reviewing the call service than actually dealing with the problem. I just pay the the basic rate of £15 a month but they haven't charged me for anything else. Should I contact them again ? In the email they said they where going to send someone out but never have done I feel it's not my problem now as I've submitted a picture reading every month and they haven't contacted me regarding why it's always the same reading. Im just worried they are going to bill me for over 2 years of gas. Thanks again for responding to me :)
    Level 91
    @Garry

Personally I think you have done, and continue to do, your bit. Hopefully you still have your copy of the emails.

What does it actually say on your bills every month? I find it all a bit odd.

What do I advise? Well, if it was me I would have pursued it persistently from the beginning. I don’t like confusion and estimates and want to know I’m paying the correct amount for what I use.

You will need to decide whether you chase it again or whether to let sleeping dogs lie. They may try to reach an agreement with you on whether you have been paying too much or too little but I don’t know the legalities of their position given that you have been submitting the same reading every month and informed them of the problem in good time.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give more informed advice.
    Level 91
    @Garry

apparently if they haven’t billed you the most they can go back is 12 months. I’m not sure from what you’ve written whether they have actually billed you. Make sure you keep all the correspondence and use email to contact them so you have a good audit trail.

yours is not the first report of the company failing to take action over a stuck meter. Usually back billing is estimated by reference to consumption is similar time periods in the past, but that might prove to be impossible in this case.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.