Gas Smart Meter Fault - Sense check next steps

Level 1
    Hi,

Grateful for views on this situation:

I noticed my Gas smart meter has seemingly now stopped working.

No gas readings were showing on the IHD (electric is fine) and when I went to the gas meter it was not responsive/no display coming up when pressing the buttons etc.

I called Eon Next who agreed there was an issue (they did a check - I assume they could see no gas readings had been received recently). They said the meter team would be contacted and asked me to send a video of pressing the buttons etc, which I have done.

They said "up to 8 weeks" for a response. I assume this is doubtful though based on what I've read here on other posts!

Questions

1) Is it advisable to escalate/complain before the 8 weeks is up as I'm mindful estimated readings could be way off and also the price changes coming in Oct etc?

2) I assume there is not a safety concern here, it is just that gas usage is not being tracked by the meter if it is faulty?

Thanks for any replies
  • 3 Replies

Level 92
    @MrB2022

Your meter has a flat battery. Shouldn't be any safety issues, but the meter needs replacing. Until this has been done, estimates and interpolation only, I'm afraid.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 77
    Hi,

Grateful for views on this situation:

I noticed my Gas smart meter has seemingly now stopped working.

No gas readings were showing on the IHD (electric is fine) and when I went to the gas meter it was not responsive/no display coming up when pressing the buttons etc.

I called Eon Next who agreed there was an issue (they did a check - I assume they could see no gas readings had been received recently). They said the meter team would be contacted and asked me to send a video of pressing the buttons etc, which I have done.

They said "up to 8 weeks" for a response. I assume this is doubtful though based on what I've read here on other posts!

Questions

1) Is it advisable to escalate/complain before the 8 weeks is up as I'm mindful estimated readings could be way off and also the price changes coming in Oct etc?

2) I assume there is not a safety concern here, it is just that gas usage is not being tracked by the meter if it is faulty?

Thanks for any replies
    Are you able to read the actual gas meter? If you can I would definitely recommend submitting the reading to avoid estimated bills. I have a similar problem to you and have to do this regularly on a monthly basis.

Edit... You actually said meter not responsive. @retrotecchie spot on.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 19-09-23 at 18:14.
    @MrB2022

This happened with my gas meter a couple of years ago and there aren't any safety issues at all, but @retrotecchie is spot on, the battery is flat and they'll have to replace the whole meter. I would get in touch with them and tell them you need the meter replacing as soon as possible, to avoid over estimated bills.