Smart Meter Installation - Not working in Smart Mode

Level 6
    Post to EoNext

Hi Folks,

I hope all is well.

A week and a half ago I got a smart meter installed for both electricity and gas.

All went well with the install and a neat and tidy installation was done.

The engineer said there was a Comms issue with the DCC which I believe uses the Arqiva network in Scotland.

The WAN and HAN lights are flashing red every 5 seconds which I believe is correct.

I received an email from EonNext mentioning they could not complete the installation dude to systems issues and they would be in touch “When there’s signal in your area”

How can I find out what the signal issues in my area. If I had a mobile phone or broadband issue there would be a customer service portal indicating service status. I can’t find anything for smart meters. The citizens advice checker returns a negative result too.

A week and a half has gone by and I have received no reply/acknowledgement back to my email I sent to EonNext either.

After years of marketing emails and a desire to move to an EV tariff I finally capitulated and am hugely disappointed that my SMETS2 smart meter is in fact not any smarter than the old analogue ones that have been removed.

My meter is:

Kaifa MA120

The SMETS 2 comms module is:

EDMI CS010A Standard 420

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

D.
  • 13 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Tek

Oh dear...another EDMI Standard 420. Those units are rather outdated and are using the older 412-414/420-424MHz band for WAN communications and with many 3G providers turning off services ahead of the 2032 'sunset' as they did in my part of Wales last year, chances are it will have signal issues in some areas. However, in the northern half of the UK LRR services provided by Arqiva use that band and although coverage is supposed to be pretty good (they allege 95.55%), there are definitely 'no signal' areas where the LRR hubs struggle to get any connectivity. Certain parts of Cumbria are notoriously sketchy.

There is another issue that may cause problems if you are within 25 miles or so of a large police or emergency services HQ. They use the same band as part of the TETRA radio communications system and their masts have a tendency to blat out anything else using communications at lower powers in the same band.

Your problem will happen regardless of supplier. It's an Arqiva/DCC connectivity issue and nothing the energy suppliers actually have any control over.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 04-08-23 at 12:23.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 6
    @WizzyWigg Thanks for the prompt reply. I’ve tried that route too. All the folks are really polite but gave me a vague answer and could not tell me what the signal issues are in my area and when they would be resolved. That’s why I thought an email might do the trick. I guess not! Cheers.
    Last edited by Tek; 04-08-23 at 10:04. Reason: Additional info
    Level 77
    @WizzyWigg Thanks for the prompt reply. I’ve tried that route too. All the folks are really polite but gave me a vague answer and could not tell me what the signal issues are in my area and when they would be resolved. Cheers.
    Sorry to hear that. There are some very clued up members on this forum who pop in from time to time who might be able to point you in the right direction. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'll tag in 2 of them @retrotecchie @theunknowntech . Can't promise anything but worth a try.
    Level 6
    @retrotecchie. That’s a really excellent response and gives me insight into the potential issues. I am indeed within an area that has both a police, ambulance and fire services. Any ideas what they might do to try and resolve? Cheers.
    Level 92
    @Tek

There isn't really any resolution I'm afraid, other than to replace the hub with a newer 4G hub or a dual band hub. Even then, it will entirely depend on signal coverage in your area.

If only the muppets in charge hadn't aligned themselves with European standards and the UK had gone with the original PLC system originally mooted (developed in the UK and winning a Queens Award for Industry) we wouldn't be having all these issues now.

If it's any consolation, some rather expensive kit that I have to maintain and support which uses the same band no longer works thanks to TETRA! I'm having to upgrade all the radio modules to 'Hermanised' 433Mhz from the old 418Mhz standard which isn't a problem, but I'm rather restricted to how much power I can transmit and what duty cycle I can use. Blame OFCOM.
    Level 6
    @retrotecchie thanks again for the detailed explanation and potential possible solutions. I think from what the meter installer told me - they have 90 days from an SLA perspective to get this working somehow. 4G signal is good where I am. He suggested I contact EOnNext by phone in about 30days, rather than wait for them to call me. To be honest I don’t have much faith - but I can only hope. As you say - why align with another standard when we had an award winning one ready to go. Good luck with your other system you need to maintain that is being affected by TETRA. Really appreciate the insight. Cheers
    Level 92
    Just as a heads up to anyone contemplating a smart meter in the first place, or needs an upgrade to a 4g comms hub.

Telefonica have been given the heave ho, and Vodafone will be providing future 4g communications for next generation hubs. So check that Vodafone provide adequate 4g coverage in your area before taking the leap. All smart meters in my village went dumb last November when EE and Vodafone shut down their 3g services. I had to get a new phone to be able to use 4g. So my loyal and trusty Ericsson GA628 has now been consigned to the desk drawer along with my old 3g Nokia. Only a couple of folks with PAYG smart meters round here have had their meters changed so far, and they were swapped for conventional credit meters. The dumb ones will continue to stay dumb for the foreseeable future.