New Install Not so Smart

Level 6
    Hi Folks,

I hope all is well.

I finally have had a smart meter installed after years of persuasive marketing emails from Eon!!

The install went well for both the electricity and gas meters and a very neat and tidy job was done.

Here is the “however” bit.

A week and a half later and the meter is still in manual or dumb mode. I have emailed EonNext and have not had a reply. I received a text message the following day after installation from EonNext stating the installation could not be finished and that they would be back in touch:“We'll be back in touch to rebook your appointment when there's signal in your area.”

Can someone explain how I can find out what the issue is in my local area.

My meter is: Kaifa MA120

The SMETS2 Comms module is:

EDMI CS010A Standard 420

The lights on the meter are all in sync for WAN and HAN - i.e. every 5 second flashing.

The engineer mentioned an issue with the DCC which I believe in Scotland is Arqiva. The citizens advice checker advises they cant find the meter in terms of it being in smart mode.

What can I do as a customer to find out the issues in the area and how can it be rectified. If I had broadband or mobile issues in my area I could find the service status on a web portal as a customer. I cant find anything like this for these meters.

Very frustrating as I want to move to an EV tariff and cannot because the meter is not in smart mode and that was one of the reasons I capitulated to get a meter so I could move tariffs and charge effectively at home.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

D.
  • 2 Replies

Level 91
    @Tek

It can take several weeks for the meters to become fully operable. So for the moment all you can do is sit and wait. Most installations do finally go through OK, but a minority of customers face months of frustration. So for the moment sit tight and keep fingers and toes and anything else crossed.

I don't have or want a smart meter, but I'm certainly of the opinion that those that are installed should fully live up to the promotional hype.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 04-08-23 at 16:42.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.