Compatibility with existing tech

Level 1
    We have a PV array (16 panels x 250 watts), a WattsOn meter displaying exact (to the single watt) consumption, generation and therefore grid export/import and an Immersun smart switch that diverts spare generated solar capacity through our immersion heater (meaning that we haven't turned our gas boiler on since April but still have all the hot water we need). I have read many negative accounts of smart meters being incompatible with PV arrays on their own, let alone extra bits of smart kit that have been added. The (very pleasant, I must say) woman at Eon to whom I spoke today could not give any indication as to whether or not a smart meter (to which I need to agree if I change my tariff) would be compatible with our current installation. My obvious concern is that I agree to have one fitted (although I think that they're pretty pointless bits of kit) and it immediately interferes with a pretty useful system that is certainly already saving us money. I'd be extremely grateful for any comments, advice, guidance, help etc.
  • 4 Replies

Level 92
    @Tottersman

My advice. Leave well alone. If it ain't broken...

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 80
    @Tottersman

Leave well alone. If it ain't broken...

Best advice ever. 👍👍👍 👴
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 01-08-23 at 14:44.
    Level 1
    I appreciate (and probably agree with) the two responses thus far but I have to commit to a smart meter if I go for a new tariff. I believe that the law around this is that the energy company can insist that you have one installed but you do not have to turn it on. (Typical box-ticking exercise!) However, if there are going to be any problems caused by incompatibility, I guess that they'll occur when the unit is activated. Even if I then turn it off lasting damage may still have been done. Therefore, do I forego the opportunity for a cheaper tariff in order to ensure that my existing multi-purpose display meter and smart switch are unaffected, or do I risk the smart meter installation. I bet that Eon will not be prepared to offer any sort of guarantee nor to commit to sorting out any problems if they do arise. Aaaagh!
    Level 91
    @Tottersman

but I've avoided having smart meters fitted through two contracts so far by just not agreeing a dte for their installation. They've plenty of other mugs (sorry customers ) to harass so i wouldn't worry too much about having one fitted. And if you have long Covid or some other communicable disease (suspected) then they'll leave you well alone.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.