House Move: My experience in moving with E.ON Next

View Tag Cloud
    In the UK on average people move around 8 times in their lifetime. I personally think that I have already moved more than 8 times in my life but that’s another story for another time! 🌍

Moving home can be stressful and at times, it comes with a really long list of tasks that it is needed to complete. In my experience having a written list and working myself through it, it is what makes my move a little easier, as after two children, my memory seems to come and go and I don’t want to miss anything. 🙂

This past year, I found myself moving twice, you can imagine my joy in such a task! 😅
    Moving house is never as easy as it may sound, it’s never moving some boxes from point A to point B. 😂
    So, while working through my list of things that I needed to do, notifying the change of address is one of my priorities to make sure important documents don’t get lost. Within this priority is to notify my energy supplier.

Despite me working for E.ON Next, they are also my energy supplier as I do see how much effort they make to really make sure their customers have the best service. I know that there are a lot of mixed feelings about this, but in my experience I had a really poor customer service experience. Also, as I am someone really active on social media, for me E.ON Next has always been really good as I can access them at any time of the day everyday.
    As a customer, I have been in touch with the team on whatsapp, they sorted out for me the move in and move out in a few clicks. My main responsibility was to make sure to provide meter readings on the moving date and the move out date from each property to make sure everything was logged in and I wasn’t going to put myself in a place where future bills may occur.

In the first property I moved, my gas supply was stuck with Octopus as the house was a new build. The previous tenants weren't aware that there were steps to take in order to register an account. It was a little bit tricky at first, as I found out that my meter wasn’t correctly registered with the National Grid. After following the procedures in which I had to personally get in touch with both companies to get it sorted, I have notified E.ON Next to try and regain the gas meter and there was no issue afterwards.

You are probably wondering why am I here telling you about my little crusade… Well, the point of this post is simply to share my experience and to highlight that we as customers do have the responsibility to work with the energy supplier and make sure things go ahead smoothly and when they don’t, I think reaching out and asking for help is always the best thing we can do.

What about you? What has been your move experience with your energy supplier? Have you ever had any issues? How have they been tackled? Do you have any ideas on what can change in order to make it simpler or better for the customer?

I can’t wait to hear your insights!
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 07-08-23 at 08:48. Reason: remove featured
  • 9 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    @BLD You absolutely can. All you need to do, is making sure you get in touch with our team from Customer service and they will be able to support you with the switch make sure you keep hold of meter readings and be in touch with previous energy suppliers if in need.

One thing I would be aware of, is to have a look at what kind of meters you will have in the new house and what are the agreements for the tariff. For example if the tariff can only be applied on credit meters or smart meters and you move in a property with prepayment meters can be a little tricky.
    Community Team
    I agree @Bennie_EONNext moving house is one of the most stressful things you can ever do, I should know I'm an expert 😆 At the age of 37 I've moved 18 times in my life (12 of those as an adult!).

I remember when I got my first flat with my Husband back in 2005. My energy supplier (not E.ON) asked me to fax...yes you read that right FAX 👀 my tenancy agreement before they would reset my meter, I had to hunt a fax machine down at the library! It was prepayment and the previous tenant had left over £700 of debt, back in the day they had to send an engineer to get this sorted but there were no appointments, so I was off supply for electricity for my first week in my flat!

I'm so glad that times have changed and it's a much simpler process now, especially with smart etc where everything can be done remotely. Also being able to chat through social media or WhatsApp where you don't have to spend most of your day going round in circles has been the biggest improvement for me!

My biggest tip for moving home is pack each room in sections so for kitchen I will label cutlery drawer, cupboard 1, cupboard 2 etc so that when it comes to time to unpack I know exactly where everything is going. Also we have moved so many times we use plastic boxes 😉 It's great as they are see through so you know exactly what's in them, they are also reusable so we always have extra storage if it's needed too!
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 04/05/24 🏖

Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext. @Bennie_EONNext

much as I would like to contribute about moving, I’ve not done it for 45+ years.

Now if the topic we’re switching suppliers I might have something to say, although most went smoothly!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Community Team
    @meldrewreborn I've lived in this house for 7 years now it's rented but long term, so hoping we don't have to move any time soon, it's exhausting!

I'm with you on switching suppliers though. I was a serial switcher until recently, I went with whoever was cheapest or had the best fixed deal and if I could get it cheaper elsewhere I was on it. I'm glad to see the market is slowly starting to open back up, however there's something to be said for good customer service too. I think after recent events I might be persuaded to stick with a supplier if the customer service was exceptional even if they were slightly pricier.
    Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext

maybe I’m lucky but I find little need to contact customer services at all, so price is my key determinant.
    Level 7
    Slightly related, but I'm likely going to be moving house later this year but am considering switching to a fixed tariff (with exit fees of £150). If I stay with e.on at the new house, can I take this fixed rate over with me without any extra charges?
    Last edited by BLD; 30-06-23 at 15:00.
    Community Team
    @BLD hey I hope you're well? Have you moved yet? I would love to hear how it went for you and how you found our moving process 😊
    Level 7
    @DebF_EONNext Sorry for the delayed reply - jusy had a baby! Yes we have moved - found it pretty smooth actually to move with e.on 😁 the only comment I would add is that the estimated gas usage rocketed up and our monthly payments went up by hundreds - no idea how the system managed to calculate that so incorrectly, but I've managed to get the monthly direct debit back down to normal levels now phew!
    Community Team
    @DebF_EONNext Sorry for the delayed reply - jusy had a baby! Yes we have moved - found it pretty smooth actually to move with e.on 😁 the only comment I would add is that the estimated gas usage rocketed up and our monthly payments went up by hundreds - no idea how the system managed to calculate that so incorrectly, but I've managed to get the monthly direct debit back down to normal levels now phew!

Oh congratulations on your new baby and the home move, how exciting! I'm pleased you managed to get the direct debit sorted, it sounds like it was set up based on the previous owner/tenants usage as we wouldn't have had many of your readings at the new address yet, glad it's sorted now though 😊