Clean Air Day 2023: What exactly is renewable energy?

Community Team
    Hey Community 👋

Did you know that yesterday was Clean Air Day? I think it's important that this day is highlighted as it's something that impacts us all. Did you know that according to World Health Organisation and the UK Government air pollution is one of the main environmental risks we face today and that it's responsible for up to 36,000 deaths every year in the UK? This really saddens me but also it makes me a bit angry that more still needs to be done.

Now I'm not going to lie and say I'm the Green Queen (that would be our @Beki_EONNext ), I'm not a sustainability champ & I'm not an environmental enthusiast but I do try to do my bit where I can. Part of the reason I chose to work at E.ON Next was the values, I like that our focus is on making energy cleaner and greener "Everything and everyone powered by sustainable energy".

Did you know at E.ON Next all of our Electricity is 100% renewable? This means cleaner air as renewables emit little to no greenhouse gasses or pollutants into the air compared to fossil fuels which produce heavy CO2 emissions, as you can imagine this is pretty poor for our environment and the planet!

You can find out more about our renewable energy here.

You might find yourself thinking "ok so your energy is renewable but what does that actually mean, what exactly is renewable energy?" When I first joined E.ON Next that was exactly what I asked, I knew a little but no where near enough! This short video gives a fantastic overview of what exactly renewable energy is and how it works.

I'm sure as a society there's probably more that we can do ourselves to make our air cleaner but I wondered 🤔 is there anything that you personally do purely to cut back on emissions? Do you have any hints or tips to share?

@retrotecchie & @wizzo227 I'm sure you will be all about this with lot's of advice for us!
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 11-08-23 at 19:09. Reason: video formatting
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳
  • 11 Replies

Level 91
    Well, I can't really claim to do anything purely to cut back on emissions but economising has the same effect. I chose the smaller of the two diesel engines available for my fair-sized car to get better MPG but a spin off was the 'Pure Drive' badge on the back due to it being a 'cleaner' diesel. I have reduced energy consumption due to the high energy prices of late and that will continue and now that I have my bus pass I sometimes use the bus instead of using the car or a taxi.

I'm doing my bit for my wallet and the environment 😇
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext

You have to have lived through the 1950's 60's & 70's to compare our air today with non clean air.

While there is pollution today it doesn't compare with what went before and today there are continuing efforts to reduce pollution further, which I'm all for..

Progress is steady because the changes necessary to reduce pollution to the lowest possible level would impact our lives too significantly (lifestyles and job) if implemented instantly.

It is always necessary to consider the longer term impacts of changes of policy. I recently watched the old film "Heavens above" starring Peter Sellers as an enthusiastic campaigning vicar. He persuaded a wealthy local woman to cash in her investments to provide free food from the church hall - a very early food bank. When the result was closure of local shops (no trade), people put out of work and then not bothering to get jobs because food was free, the church authorities removed him. Yes, it was fictional, but the demonstration of ill thought out policy making was clear enough.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 78
    @meldrewreborn

Boy can I remember SMOG! You were lucky to see someone standing next to you at it's worst!
    Level 78
    I haven't intentionally done anything out of the ordinary.
    Due to the hot weather though, I've stopped using the car. Sitting in what feels like a deep fat fryer is certainly not one of favourite things to do. The weekly shop is now 3 mini early morning shops, walking with rucksack on back. Positive side is more exercise and weight reduction. Oh yes saving petrol money too 😊.
    Do you know there something to be said about this wonderful weather. I could quite happily continue this way.
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

the problem is that saving money doesn't fully equate to cutting pollution. There is a role for gradually introducing and then increasing a carbon tax to encourage people to switch to cleaner fuels.
    Level 78
    @meldrewreborn
    I don't think saving money will reduce pollution. Changing how we do things will. In fact the saved monies will probably end up being spent on other materialistic items that cause other forms of pollution.
    Level 78
    Pollution is a Catch 22 scenario. CO2, CFC, radio active waste, heavy metals, plastics, petroleum by-products, the list goes and and on. Every time technology and lifestyle changes it will generate pollution of some description. It's almost a BOGOF, solve one form of pollution generate another.
    Change our obsession with fashion, and I don't mean just clothes! 😉
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 16-06-23 at 14:18. Reason: Extra comment
    Community Team
    I think that little changes en masse can really have a big impact too. I get quite frustrated that things take so long to change, like you said though @meldrewreborn these things have to be adapted over time otherwise it can cause chaos or panic, however, I'm such an impatient person and want everything done yesterday (it's a flaw, I'm working on it 😆).
    Level 78
    I think that little changes en masse can really have a big impact too. I get quite frustrated that things take so long to change, like you said though @meldrewreborn these things have to be adapted over time otherwise it can cause chaos or panic, however, I'm such an impatient person and want everything done yesterday (it's a flaw, I'm working on it 😆).

Good things come to those who wait. 😊