A way with words - Local dialect

@retrotecchie and @WizzyWigg

I agree. I can think of a few who are just as bad or worse in the the House of Commons for starters: 'Send in the Clowns. Don't bother, they're here'!🤡🤣
    Level 77
    @retrotecchie and @WizzyWigg

I agree. I can think of a few who are just as bad or worse in the the House of Commons for starters: 'Send in the Clowns. Don't bother, they're here'!🤡🤣
    We are on the same wave length. 😉
    Community Team
    If you watched 'The Wheel' this evening Alison Hammond came up with an old Brummie term for 'Tap Water '.

Council Pop! 😂
    @WizzyWigg I say that to my son when he's moaning there's nothing to drink "well there's always council juice" you can imagine that goes down well with a 15yr old 😂
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳
    Level 92
    @DebF_EONNext

As the Romans used to say...

In vino...veritas. In cervesio...felicitas. In aqua...e-coli.

I'm very lucky that I moved to Wales from Surrey. Thames Water dispense liquid chalk from the taps and it used to cost me £50 a year on top of my water rates to maintain a three-cartridge whole house filter system to render the water drinkable. The Dwr Cymru stuff really is nectar in comparison.

Half the soap use in the washing machine, shampoo lasts twice as long and central heating doesn't need draining and flushing every year. When the plumber removed the old water tank and immersion heater when they renovated the property, the tank was completely clean and no scale on the immersion heater despite being installed in the 1970s.

I actually quite like drinking the tap water here, and tea and coffee taste much better without the chalk and scum. Kettles last a lot longer too and the laundry comes out softer. Now, if they could just keep the supply on all year round, they'd be onto a winner!

'Adam's ale' was another old expression I remember for tap water that my Nan used to use back in the day.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 30-05-23 at 09:26.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Community Team
    @retrotecchie the water is quite good up this way too but nothing beats the water at the top of Scotland it's crystal clear!
    Level 77
    @DebF_EONNext

As the Romans used to say...

In vino...veritas. In cervesio...felicitas. In aqua...e-coli.

I'm very lucky that I moved to Wales from Surrey. Thames Water dispense liquid chalk from the taps and it used to cost me £50 a year on top of my water rates to maintain a three-cartridge whole house filter system to render the water drinkable. The Dwr Cymru stuff really is nectar in comparison.

Half the soap use in the washing machine, shampoo lasts twice as long and central heating doesn't need draining and flushing every year. When the plumber removed the old water tank and immersion heater when they renovated the property, the tank was completely clean and no scale on the immersion heater despite being installed in the 1970s.

I actually quite like drinking the tap water here, and tea and coffee taste much better without the chalk and scum. Kettles last a lot longer too and the laundry comes out softer. Now, if they could just keep the supply on all year round, they'd be onto a winner!

'Adam's ale' was another old expression I remember for tap water that my Nan used to use back in the day.
    I know exactly what you mean about the Thames Water liquid from the tap. Spent 30 years removing scale from kettles (if they lasted long enough). I know I should have done what you did with the filter but hey ho. It was a relief to return to the north west 😊.
    @retrotecchie

The water in Northumberland is pretty good too. Some people still refer to it as Adam's Ale up here.😀
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl

The worst water in the country is apparently around the Tonbridge area. Not much fresh supply there so it's mostly reprocessed from waste water. Someone in the water industry told me that it's been through five other humans before it comes out of your tap. Not only that but it has the highest concentration of oestrogen in the water anywhere in the UK. I used to regularly visit friends in the area, but always declined a cuppa just in case I sprouted moobs!
    @retrotecchie

The Tonbridge water sounds foul, if you pardon the pun🤢. I don't blame you for declining a cuppa made from that, with you knowing where it's been and what's in it! 🤣
    Level 15
    This will crack a smile I'm sure pardon the pun 🤣 out little granddaughter always laughed at trumps so we pinned the word aww you just apple tarted better word in public ha ha 🤭