Cheats!

Level 1
    I get fobbed off again and again. My smart meter stopped giving any readings in July. Eon didn’t replace it until late January, after months pestering them. They have now heavily overestimated my last two months of the faulty meter. They are refusing to do anything about the overestimating, pretending that my latest reading would be taken off my old meter readings and that would make the usage lower. They are ignoring that the old meter gave no readings of any kind, or are too dim-witted to understand what 'it gave no readings of any kind'. The ombudsman will hear about this, and I will find another supplier.
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 55
    Best Answer
    I had a new higher efficiency boiler in August that does not keep coming on like the old one did. Please adjust my estimates to show that.

Unfortunately no-one can say for sure that your new boiler is using less than your older one - it should be more efficient but the setup is all-important as with all boilers.

Ultimately Eon Next will have to be guided by historical use or average use for the size of your property and/or other properties with similar postcodes in the absence of this historic data I would have thought.
    Level 55
    I get fobbed off again and again. My smart meter stopped giving any readings in July. Eon didn’t replace it until late January, after months pestering them. They have now heavily overestimated my last two months of the faulty meter. They are refusing to do anything about the overestimating, pretending that my latest reading would be taken off my old meter readings and that would make the usage lower. They are ignoring that the old meter gave no readings of any kind, or are too dim-witted to understand what 'it gave no readings of any kind'. The ombudsman will hear about this, and I will find another supplier.

If I read your post correctly, from July to end Nov/early Dec you had a faulty meter that was dead - no readings nada. Were your estimates from July to early December in line with your previous year's consumption and were you happy with the estimations for this period? Now from early Dec to late January the meter was still faulty (obviously) but it is at this point that you feel that Eon Next's estimates have been overestimated?

OK, time for you to go back into your account going back 2 years if you can to July 2021 or at the very least from November 2021 - July 2022. Can I assume that smart reads were being provided to Eon Next? If not, were you providing regular customer readings every month? Compile a list of these readings, be they smart, estimated or customer reads and you might have a basis for challenging their estimates as you can use this historical data to support your case.👍

The trouble is that when smart meters stop recording usage, it is obviously very difficult for you or Eon Next to assess what you might have used in these months. A prolonged absence of regular meter reads, prior to the meter going dead (and not recording usage), will make it very difficult for you to make your case with Eon Next or with the ombudsman.
    Level 1
    If I read your post correctly, from July to end Nov/early Dec you had a faulty meter that was dead - no readings nada. Were your estimates from July to early December in line with your previous year's consumption and were you happy with the estimations for this period? Now from early Dec to late January the meter was still faulty (obviously) but it is at this point that you feel that Eon Next's estimates have been overestimated?

OK, time for you to go back into your account going back 2 years if you can to July 2021 or at the very least from November 2021 - July 2022. Can I assume that smart reads were being provided to Eon Next? If not, were you providing regular customer readings every month? Compile a list of these readings, be they smart, estimated or customer reads and you might have a basis for challenging their estimates as you can use this historical data to support your case.👍

The trouble is that when smart meters stop recording usage, it is obviously very difficult for you or Eon Next to assess what you might have used in these months. A prolonged absence of regular meter reads, prior to the meter going dead (and not recording usage), will make it very difficult for you to make your case with Eon Next or with the ombudsman.

I'll do as you say. In the meantime, here's the to-and-fro between them and me

Me: my smart meter gave no readings from July. I had a new higher efficiency boiler in August that does not keep coming on like the old one did. Please adjust my estimates to show that.
    Them: we had no readings from you.
    Me: my meter gave no readings. I had a new meter in late January.
    Them: your meter is giving readings now.
    Me: I know. I had a new one in January. The old one gave no readings.
    Them: please send us the last reading on your old meter.
    Me: the old meter gave no readings. I don't have a last reading from when it was replaced.
    Them: we will reduce your estimates.
    They then raised the estimates.