Rediculous Smart Gas Consumption data being recorded.

Level 2
    I'm hoping someone on here can help me as I'm somewhat frustrated by the responses received from customer services.

We had a Gas Smart meter installed between Christmas and New year (28th Dec). The interval data has recently started to flow through onto Bright (3rd party app I use which gets data from the DCC as the Eon Next doesn't have such an app that I know of).

It's stating that between 6pm-7pm on the 29th Dec the house used 7364.26kWh of Gas !!! The EAC for the house is under 5000 kwh. We were out for the day coming home between 6-7pm. Any gas usage would have been minimal.

I've tried to explain this to Customer Services only for them to say "On our app it does a very similar comparison"....

I'm somewhat concerned that a random bill will be sent out with crazy numbers on it....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  • 7 Replies

Level 91
    @cottontop

What does the actual gas meter say? The app, IHD are aids (although clearly not always) but you meter and your online account are definitive.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 2
    @cottontop

What does the actual gas meter say? The app, IHD are aids (although clearly not always) but you meter and your online account are definitive.

the gas reading was 56 a couple of days ago (m3). I've not been billed for the closing of the old meter or the any billing for the new meter.
    Last edited by cottontop; 09-02-23 at 19:00. Reason: Error
    Level 91
    @cottontop

assuming it started from zero that’s 56 m3 so about 672 kWh and that’s about £82 by my mental arithmetic plus standing charges.
    Level 2
    @cottontop

assuming it started from zero that’s 56 m3 so about 672 kWh and that’s about £82 by my mental arithmetic plus standing charges.

Yes it's even less given in still on one of the older fixed deals.

My concern is down to the fact the data is showing on the DCC. I'm my previous job I was a Customer manager for a B2B energy supplier (managing super massive energy consumers) so I'm used to HH data settlements. Whilst domestic customers are not settled on HH data yet it still concerns me !!!!
    Level 91
    @cottontop

You can always put in a manual reading - lots of people (about 15% of all smart meters) have to because their meters are working "in traditional mode" - that's because they're dumb in common parlance.

But maybe not if the meter swap hasn't gone through fully.
    Level 56
    I'm hoping someone on here can help me as I'm somewhat frustrated by the responses received from customer services.

We had a Gas Smart meter installed between Christmas and New year (28th Dec). The interval data has recently started to flow through onto Bright (3rd party app I use which gets data from the DCC as the Eon Next doesn't have such an app that I know of).

It's stating that between 6pm-7pm on the 29th Dec the house used 7364.26kWh of Gas !!! The EAC for the house is under 5000 kwh. We were out for the day coming home between 6-7pm. Any gas usage would have been minimal.

I've tried to explain this to Customer Services only for them to say "On our app it does a very similar comparison"....

I'm somewhat concerned that a random bill will be sent out with crazy numbers on it....

I think this it a 'glitch in the system'. I have moved into my present home in August 2022 inheriting SMETS 2 meters for both utilities. On Bright the first set of data goes back to 2021 (August) and looking back on my HH data the first data shows a figure of 7520.35 kWh of gas consumed between 0700 and 0730 with only small amounts recorded in the periods before and after! I was not around to know what the meter readings were at that point in time but would assume that what I see on Bright (going right back) is a 'glitch' that can happen when the meters are first installed.

The critical thing to be aware of though is what your actual meter reads are , as that is what you will be billed on rather than any interval data that Bright has given to you. If your gas meter reads are sky high then yes harrangue Eon Next about it otherwise ignore it (as I have done).
    Last edited by Mailman; 10-02-23 at 12:22.
    Level 2
    @meldrewreborn yes I'm not in a position to enter a read currently unfortunately...