What are E.On Next doing about EDMI meters?

Level 91
    It appears that EDMI SMETS 1 meters cannot ever be enrolled onto the DCC network because the company refused to cooperate with the bulk enrolment programme.

So, it is therefore obvious that these meters will need to be replaced - they cannot be made to work in smart mode. I just wonder what steps E.On Next are taking to prioritise the customers of these meters for the fitting of properly functioning meters?

Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 1 Reply

Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Eventually, all SMETS1 meters should be replaced. They are obsolete. Migration of older SMETS1 meters that can talk to DCC after a bit of a fiddle is just a 'workaround', and not a very good one at that. They might be able to send readings, but they still won't support all the functionality of SMETS2, which has been the 'standard' since 2018.

For now, a non-smart EDMI meter works in exactly the same way as a conventional dumb meter. Which is what over 50% of domestic customers have anyway. As long as it is capable of accurately recording energy usage, and manual readings can be taken and submitted, that's all that appears to matter as far as metering legislation goes.

The meter is the responsibility of the supplier. I'm of the opinion that any supplier should proactively replace any older smart meter so that the latest spec is in place.

I could argue that Toshiba should have also replaced the £300 TV I bought in 2005 about three months before they turned off analogue TV in my region. The 'workaround' for that was to buy a £30 Freeview box which solved the problem but I still maintain the cost should of that 'workaround' should have been covered by OFCOM, who made the decision to go digital, and not the consumer.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.