Having to pay for Smart Meter IHDs?

Level 2
    My IHD has stopped functioning so I can not check my meter balance unless I go outside to check my meters, the website is useless as that only updates at midnight if you are lucky, told by Eon next if I want a new IHD I have to buy one from a company called IVIE which costs £49.99 as the one I was given when my Smart meters were installed was considered a free gift so they refuse to replace it, yet it functioned fine before they updated my meters and I was switched to Eon Next, so basically I have to pay because they screwed up.
  • 4 Replies

Level 92
    @davejc64

Just too many questions to throw back at you here.

In what way has your IHD stopped 'functioning'?

Check your pay as you go meter credit balance or just actually read the units off the meters?

Which website only updating what?

When were your meters installed? By which company?

Who updated your meters?

You say you were switched, not that you voluntarily switched?

I suspect you are well outside the original 12 month warranty period of your 'free gift' which I suspect may not even have been anything whatsoever with E.On Next.

If you could clarify the situation, we may be able to point you in the right direction for assistance with this.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 17-01-23 at 10:26.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 2
    I was with EON which has now become EON next before that change my IHD worked perfectly was able to see credit balance left on meters, since the change the IHD has become useless, in a sense the change wasn't voluntary, and since the change the website doesn't function as it it did before which was updating balance every hour rather than every 24 hours if you are lucky now, I see from you signature that you don't use mains gas or electricity if that the case I don't believe you are in a position to understand fully what I am saying as you wont have the experience of what I am saying, but thanks for replying anyway, I wont waste anymore of your time with this issue.
    Level 92
    @davejc64

I do use mains electricity and always have done. I don't have mains gas or mains sewerage.

Eon Next use a different software platform form Eon, which is why the data you are looking for on the website is unavailable. I assume also as you mention 'balance' that your meters are smart prepay and that you can indeed top up your meters online or via the app?

If so, then the meters themselves are working and in that case you may well be able to download the Bright app and use that free of charge rather than have to buy an IHD.

Your IHD failure. Is it just completely dead, or just no longer communicating with your meters? Does it show a message that says something like waiting to connect' or 'waiting for data? If so, then the issue may be HAN communications on your hub.

What are the status of the Lights on your comms hub? is the HAN light flashing or steady? What colour? If flashing, how fast? This information will give more clues that may allow diagnostics to be narrowed down.

Level 2
    My point being Eon/Eon next claimed that changing would improve things, when in reality it didn't in fact since the change things seem worse. But of course they wont admit its their fault and the fact they advise customers to check their IHDs to get a accurate balance readout on Smart Pay as you go. I've had my say, so will leave it at that.