Renewal Quote

Can anyone suggest how to get someone at Eon Next to talk to you and provide a sensible renewal quote?

In 2021 our estimates usage for combined day and night was 2,759KWH

Before we got a smart meter in Oct 2022 it was 2,491 KHW annual estimage

We have only used 555 over the last three months so that will pro rata to about 2,220KWH

Eon Next are quoting and won't step down on a quoted usage of 4200KWH !!! Overall quoting an increase from c£1,800 to £2,400 next year for gas and electric

I've tried to query it and for some reason they offered us a 10% discount on the direct debit ??!!

I assume this because I have recently been battling for them to get the bills corrected as the day/night rates, readings and narratives were all swapped round since the smart meter went in...

I'd rather not change supplier but they aren't helping themselves :(
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @PAW75

Based on your accurate annual usage, work out from your tariffs and standing charges what your annual cost for your last year's energy was. Add 20% and divide your final figure by 12. That should give you an idea of what your monthly payments should be. Don't let them base on your 'estimated' usage as that will usually be way out. They estimated my annual usage at around 5700 units when my actual is nearer 3400.

Once you have your calculations, then you have two choices. Either adjust your DD to the figure you think is fair, or request a change to variable DD where you are just charged for the energy you use each month. In either case you will need to either talk to Customer Services on the phone, or send an email to hi@eonnext.com with your details and calculations in the body and "Request Direct Debit change" in the subject and hopefully that should do the trick.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    Energy consumption particularly for heating varies with the winter weather. So it will be a range and going for the middle of the range is sensible. Having read a reply from one of the community team it seems that E.On Next use industry collective calculations rather than their own. Most people think their supplier’s estimates are too high, so the assumptions in those estimates are perhaps suspect. Prices will go up another 20% in April and then perhaps decline slowly as the year progresses.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Energy consumption particularly for heating varies with the winter weather. So it will be a range and going for the middle of the range is sensible. Having read a reply from one of the community team it seems that E.On Next use industry collective calculations rather than their own. Most people think their supplier’s estimates are too high, so the assumptions in those estimates are perhaps suspect. Prices will go up another 20% in April and then perhaps decline slowly as the year progresses.

Gas I have no issue with but electricity is extortionate, I think they are using a standard average of 4200KWH rather than what they have just told me below , as actually readings are much lower !

"Our EAC (Electricity Annual Consumption) is based on the meter readings E.ON receives from the customer."
    Level 91
    @PAW75

Given that then if you can demonstrate that they are delivering falsehoods you have grounds for complaint. You should do this quoting the instructions from Grant Shapps about not inflating Direct Debit computations.

However, what you are really talking about is the setting of a fixed direct debit. They are not supposed to push up consumption estimates because of price increase, but you should factor in the 20% price hike due in April. You can switch to a variable direct debit where you pay by DD for the energy you've just consumed - so without any summer winter smoothing. You still get the lowest flex price. Sending an email with Estimated annual consumption wrong in the title and all the necessary explanation and your account details in it might work. But make the complaint at the same time.