Direct Debit Recommendations

Direct Debit recommendations are, I'm pretty sure, not taking into account the Energy Price Guarantee subsidy from the Goverment, which means that, for me at least - and I suspect everyone - they are much too high. That's the only way I can make sense of the numbers, which otherwise don't match what I will pay based on EONs predicted usage and my current tariff.

That's before you take into account the the EON algorithm is clearly very slow to adapt to the fact that many of us have dropped our usage in response to high prices.

Even more annoying, the website won't let you increase your DD if that increase would put your DD more than 10% below the incorrect value that EON have calculated.

In my case, I'm paying currently paying around £190/month. I want to pay around £215/month, as this number would cover my usage (based on EONs usage predictions and my current tariff) and still leave me in considerable credit in a years time. But the website thinks I should be paying £268 and so it won't let me set a value below £242.

Obviously it makes sense to stop people decreasing their DD below what is needed to cover their bills. Or it would, had EON correctly calculated that amount to begin with. But it seems a bit silly to stop people increasing their DD, even if that increase is below what's needed. Even if EONs calculations were correct, they are still stopping the customer from decreasing the rate at which they are getting into debt.
    Last edited by wuxyexylix; 03-01-23 at 13:38. Reason: Typo
  • 1 Reply

Level 92
    @wuxyexylix

Most people in your position have had success by using email or WhatsApp to adjust their direct debits. The website gives you very limited leeway.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.