Faulty Smart Meter

Level 91
    I keep ignoring them. And I tend to get covid often!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Having a perfectly good spare non-smart meter in my stock of 'might come in handy one day' gubbins is part of my fallback plan. Living in rural Wales is the other.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    If the meter proves to be broken and the bills are estimated in the meantime, what happens if a new meter has to be installed. Do I just have to accept what E.on guess my usage to have been? Surely if the meter is broken and they don’t, or won’t, replace it, they can’t be allowed to simply benefit at my expense?
    Level 92
    @Essjay

The fact they the meter has something on the display suggests that the meter is still actually doing something. They will very likely be able to take a reading off the meter to generate an accurate bill. I'd be inclined to take another look at your meter to see if anything on the display has changed. If so, the meter will be recording correctly.

Level 5
    Dear all

thank you so much for your advice. Richard at Eon has been very helpful. He has back from the smart meter team who have said that they have identified a blocker that means readings aren’t getting through. It seems that it is an issue known by the data communications centre and that they are currently working on a fix, which would ordinarily mean sending in manual readings until they come up with a fix, which will not be possible as it isn’t showing any readings. Fortunately, after sending a video of what the meter was showing, they accept that it has stopped sending readings and that they will need to have the meter fixed or replaced. I now have an appointment for an engineer to call. Fingers crossed this resolves it.

there’ll be a bit of a wait until February before an engineer comes out, but I hope this sorts it.

thanks again for the help and advice. happy Christmas all.
    Level 92
    @Essjay

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I hope they manage to resolve it successfully.
    Level 5
    After reading all the threads on here I was pleasantly surprised when the engineer came last week as arranged. He tried re-booting the meter with no success, so installed a new one and gave me a new IHD. They seem to be working fine, but E-on say they are still getting my meter details and won’t let me give manual readings whilst that is being sorted. It has been a week. Does anyone know how long this takes as seems odd that they can’t just take a reading? Octopus say it can take up to 14 days, but I thought I read somewhere that it can be up to 90 days, which just seems very strange.
    Level 5
    Still no meter readings taken and the E-on Next website doesn’t allow me to provide meter readings as it says that E-on are still awaiting details of my meter. Honestly???!!! What is taking so long? I has now been a month. The IHD and the Bright app are both working fine, so why aren’t e-on taking a reading? Is there anything that can be done about this as I am nearly £2k in credit with no bills since November. My monthly usage is only around £125, so am keen to stop haemorrhaging money like this and giving it all to E-on when all they need to do is to take a meter reading.