Prepayment and actual bills

Level 1
    Hi,

A few months ago I had to have a new meter installed. Wales & West took the final reading and updated Eon Next with the new meter number and final reading. I had put money on the machine 3 days earlier so Eon Next did have a fairly up to date 'prepay' reading. The next 2 months Eon Next estimated my readings. Last week a meter reader called and took a reading.

I was just wondering as it is an old card prepayment meter do the meter readings actually make a difference to the amount taken from the machine if you're 'paying as you go'?
  • Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Justme

No, if you 'pay as you go', you are paying for exactly the amount of energy you use. However, meter readers will take a reading occasionally so they report back the actual consumption to the energy companies. They need this information to help with demand management. The fact that a meter reader turned up shortly after you had your meters changed is just coincidence.

Plus, they need fairly regular accurate readings so they can generate your annual statement.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 21-12-22 at 20:10.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.