Bill confusion

Level 4
    I received an email from eon next saying I have been moved from a fixed tariff where I was paying a set amount each month, to a variable tariff, which will be cheaper for me due to government EPG. I have logged into my online account and nothing has changed. My next bill still shows what I was paying on my fixed ttariff
  • 17 Replies

Level 56
    I received an email from eon next saying I have been moved from a fixed tariff where I was paying a set amount each month, to a variable tariff, which will be cheaper for me due to government EPG. I have logged into my online account and nothing has changed. My next bill still shows what I was paying on my fixed ttariff

It might be that you took out a fixed tariff that ended this month and have now naturally reverted to the standard variable tariff (Next Flex) but the effect of the EPG is that you are not paying any more on your unit tariffs than you were before with the fixed DD staying as it is for now. The critical thing for you to examine are your unit tariffs for your utilities irrespective of what they are now called.
    Last edited by Mailman; 21-12-22 at 17:34.
    Level 4
    @Mailman i was on a fix from September this year. They moved me in November as it was supposedly cheaper but it is no different. My bill shows that my usage is less than what they are actually billing me. My understanding is that the next flex variable you pay for what you use. My online account clearly shows it was what I paid on my fixed rate tariff.
    E.Rudd
    Level 91
    @Emrudd84

There were fixed tariff which means your prices are fixed. But then came the government's Energy Price Guarantee (EPG) which reduced prices for both variable Tarif customers and fixed tariff customers, but only down to the level of the variable prices, and not below, and from October 2022.. Typically this means prices around 34p per unit for electricity and 11p per unit for gas, but on bills it is shown as first the tariff price and then the government EPG reduction.

Then there are fixed direct debits, which spread your bills over many months, and variable direct debits where you pay the actual bills as they arise. So 2 different types of fixes - do you see?

On Next flex variable you are paying the lowest prices possible. Your actual payments will depend on whether you are paying the actual bills after they are received, which means the bills vary from month to month and are usually higher in the winter than the summer, or on a fixed direct debit where your anticipated bills are estimated for a year and you pay a set amount each month.

If your readings from your meters are not available, then your bills will be estimated. If you are on a fixed direct debit this doesn't matter too much as you still keep paying the same monthly amount, but if you are paying after receipt of the bills then the estimation of your readings could lead to higher or lower bills than expected.

If you are not on a Direct Debit of any type, you are paying extra on your tariff by about £250 per year. That's fine if thats what you want but most people choose direct debit because its cheaper.

So a lot of "ifs above". Can you clarify your circumstances more precisely?
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 4
    @meldrewreborn I fixed in September of this year where I paid a set amount per month. They emailed me in November saying they have moved me onto variable tariff as it is cheaper and covered by government EPG.
    my understanding from the video on the eon next website is if you are on a variable tariff you pay for what you use so bills can go up and down which I understand.
    I have a smart meter so they receive my readings so bill is not estimated.
    I paid by direct debit on fixed and pay direct debit now
    Level 4
    @meldrewreborn I fixed in September of this year where I paid a set amount per month. They emailed me in November saying they have moved me onto variable tariff as it is cheaper and covered by government EPG.
    my understanding from the video on the eon next website is if you are on a variable tariff you pay for what you use so bills can go up and down which I understand.
    I have a smart meter so they receive my readings so bill is not estimated.
    I paid by direct debit on fixed and pay direct debit now
    Level 92
    @Emrudd84

you are confusing fixed and variable tariffs with fixed and variable direct debits.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 4
    @retrotecchie I'm simply stating what it says in the video on their website. But surely if they have changed me onto a cheaper tariff then my direct debit shouldn't be the same as it was when I was on a fixed tariff. That would be pointless of them even moving me
    Level 92
    No, the point of moving to to the variable tariff was to make sure you get the full benefit of the energy price guarantee. Your fix would have been higher per unit than is currently the case.

The fixed DD stayed the same, so you pay the same amount of money every month. Variable direct debit means whatever you use in a month you pay for. You pay more in winter than you will in summer.
    Level 91
    @Emrudd84

A variable tariff normally can go up or down. But at the moment the effective prices you pay are fixed by the energy price guarantee. As an example prices under the OFGEM price cap will increase by 20% in January, so normally prices would go up. The energy price guaranteed will also increase so that your effective rates stay very much the same.

Whether you are on a fixed or variable deal, you can pay by fixed or variable direct debit, or even not by direct debit at all.

Please post a link to the video as I'm not going to search for it, but I'm fairly certain you have misinterpreted what is being said.