If you think this winter is bad- think again!

Level 91
    Recently shown again on BBC4 was the programme "Winterwatch, 1963 Big Freeze".

BBC Two - Winterwatch, 1963: The Big Freeze

It was unavailable on Iplayer for a while (why?) but its back now.

this gives you a flavour:

Winter of 1962–1963 in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

We survived that then, without the facilities that we have now, obviously its not nice but we'll get through.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 2 Replies

Level 16
    Recently shown again on BBC4 was the programme "Winterwatch, 1963 Big Freeze".
    We survived that then, without the facilities that we have now, obviously its not nice but we'll get through.

In the 1960's many homes had open coal fires and were not dependent on the continuous connection and availability of electricity and gas services.

Meters were just dials and didn't rely on a no signal available mobile phones to work. Customers with pay as you go gas and electric meters had to use real coins to feed the meter and no one was dependent on jammed telephone lines and unavailable online customer services "your call is important to us" teams to top up online accounts and load cards with virtual credits.

Come the zombie apocalypse and the breakdown of technology we will likely find that civilisation's has designed itself out of existence.

We are so dependent on technology and a major and prolonged power grid failure will mean no mobiles, no computers, no internet, no online payments, no shops, no fuel, no food. Doomed I tell ya.
    Level 92
    In the 1960's many homes had open coal fires and were not dependent on the continuous connection and availability of electricity and gas services.

The same pretty much holds today in many parts of Wales...lots of folk round here use coal and oil, we don't have gas and our electricity supply can hardly be called 'continuous' 🤣🤣🤣
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.