Smart Meter not updating

Level 1
    Hi

I have Smart Meters for both Gas and Electricity (previously inherited from British Gas via npower) and everything has been working fine on EonNext for about 18 months until about 4 weeks ago when my IHD started showing "Connecting to smart meter...".

I unplugged the IHD a few times in an attempt to reset it, but it still showed the same message upon plugging it back in, despite being right next to the smart meter itself. It is now permanently in this state.

Initially I thought the issue was with the IHD, but when my monthly smart reading date came (14th of the month), the smart meter failed to send any readings for the first time ever (both Gas and Electricity) so I submitted a manual reading instead.

I'm beginning suspect the fault might be with the Smart Meter itself, as the WAN and HAN lights on the meter are slow-flashing and I'm sure they didn't do this before.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks in advance.
  • 3 Replies

Level 92
    @orangedino

I'm guessing mobile coverage has been turned off or has gone down temporarily in your area. The older SMETS1 meters rely on the 2g/3g networks to communicate and if that has glitched, your meters won't communicate.

Give it a week or so to see if it comes back up again.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    @retrotecchie Thanks for the advice - I'll wait a bit longer, although it has been over 4 weeks now. Would this also affect the communication between the IHD and the meter itself? It all seemed to happen at the same time.
    Level 92
    @orangedino

If the meter to DCC comms has gone down, then the hub will be focussing on trying to re-establish the WAN link first. The fact they are two completely separate systems and the meters should talk to the IHD if they can't 'phone home...often this depends on the make and model of meters and comms hubs.

The other thing that may be worth a punt, just in case. Unplug the IHD and leave it for 48 hours until the internal battery goes flat. Then retry...that sometimes gets the IHD and the meters talking again. If it's not talking now, 48 more hours won't hurt!