Direct Debit question

Level 3
    Hello, Can you help with my question?

I pay my bill at the Post Office when I receive my paper bill. I only pay for exact amount that I have used every month.
    Can I set up a direct debit to pay the exact amount each month or would it have to be a variable amount over the year?
    Apparently I could save £200 a year paying by Direct Debit.....but which system?
  • 11 Replies

Level 92
    @mick68

Set up a direct debit to pay in full on receipt of bill. It would necessarily be variable as the payment would be the exact amount of each bill. You pay more in winter, less in summer.

And yes, it would get you lower standing charges and a slightly better tariff, saving £200 ish a year.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56

I pay my bill at the Post Office when I receive my paper bill. I only pay for exact amount that I have used every month.
    Can I set up a direct debit to pay the exact amount each month or would it have to be a variable amount over the year?
    Apparently I could save £200 a year paying by Direct Debit.....but which system?

You will need to contact customer services by phone to set up a Variable Direct Debit 👍

Yes . I pay my bill that way but for some reason Eon Next's system only lets customers set up a fixed direct debit. As @Mailman says, you need to contact Eon Next Customer Services to set up a monthly variable Direct Debit.
    Level 3
    @Tommysgirl
    That was going to be my next question! Can I do it online. Obviously its in Eon's benefit to pay by fixed Direct Debit, so it loks like I'll have to phone. Not looking forward to waiting in a long queue!!
    @Tommysgirl
    That was going to be my next question! Can I do it online. Obviously its in Eon's benefit to pay by fixed Direct Debit, so it loks like I'll have to phone. Not looking forward to waiting in a long queue!!
    You're absolutely right! I found the best time to ring is as they open at 9am. You could be in a queue for about an hour but it will be worth it. Depending on who answers the phone, they might try to persuade you to choose a fixed Direct Debit, but insist you want to pay by monthly variable Direct Debit. As Mr Harry Selfridge said: "The customer is always right".😃👍🎄
    Level 3
    @Tommysgirl

Ok thank you for that. I've just looked and didn't realise they don't do weekend calls. I wonder if they will FORCE me to have a smart meter fitted as part of my request for variable DD.!!
    @Tommysgirl

Ok thank you for that. I've just looked and didn't realise they don't do weekend calls. I wonder if they will FORCE me to have a smart meter fitted as part of my request for variable DD.!!
    I wouldn't think they will be allowed to force a smart meter on you, and anyway, from looking at other posts on this forum there is quite a substantial backlog of customers waiting for smart meter installations. To quote Sir Winston Churchill : "Never Never Never Give In".😃✌
    Level 56
    @Tommysgirl

I know that some do, for example on Online v18 DD they state (in the Terms and Conditions) Payment is by Monthly Direct Debit only and you need to manage your account online. By choosing this tariff you agree to have a Smart meter installed where eligible. There are no exit fees with this tariff.

Not sure what Next Flex states re Smart Meters (even though I am on Next Flex for Electricity ATM) as I was just moved to it (so only know the tariffs not the T&C). This happened due to Eon Next's strategy for some Fixed Tariff customers disadvantaged by the EPG implementation!

BTW I am on SMETS2 smart meters (inherited when I moved in a year ago) with a functioning IHD device - no real issues so far.
    Last edited by Mailman; 11-12-22 at 14:10.
    Level 91
    @mick68

fix price tariffs often carry the obligation to have a smart meter. But that still requires you to make the appointment. And they’ve still got nearly half of all meters being traditional meters so no reason to think anybody will suffer if they resist.

but on the variable tariff I don't know of any such condition.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.