Full direct debit taken from my account

Level 1
    My DD amount is £105. In October and November £38 was taken due to the Government Support Scheme. £66 added to my eon account on each of those months.

But on December 1st £105 was taken from my account. And £67 has been added to my eon account due to the Government Support Scheme.

Can anyone help on why the full Direct debit was taken this month?
  • 8 Replies

Level 92
    @hpath

Because your DD was due before the £67 was credited to your account.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    I dont quite understand. In both October and November I would have been in the same situation and £38 was debited from my current account.

This time £105?
    Level 56
    I dont quite understand. In both October and November I would have been in the same situation and £38 was debited from my current account.

This time £105?

The really important thing is that your online account shows BOTH a £67 EBSS credit AND a £105 Direct Debit credit.

Cannot comment on why this month's treatment was different to the last two.
    Level 92
    @Mailman

The method of application of the credits varies according to timing of DD, and whether you pay regular DD or bill in full.

So long as when you get the end of March, your electricity costs have been reduced by £400, it matters not a fishes nipple how they actually implement it. So long as you got the full amount, one way or another.
    Level 56
    @Mailman

The method of application of the credits varies according to timing of DD, and whether you pay regular DD or bill in full.

So long as when you get the end of March, your electricity costs have been reduced by £400, it matters not a fishes nipple how they actually implement it. So long as you got the full amount, one way or another.

Indeed they do but I am assuming that the OP has been paying by fixed direct debit for them to know what his DD was. I think they have wondered what has changed from October (late application of EBSS if I remember), November (prompt in my case) and December (prompt again). Perhaps they changed their DD date?

Level 1
    I've asked eon the same question and am waiting for a reply. DDs for October and November were both reduced by the £67 but December has been taken at the full amount. I pay by a fixed DD, so had budgeted for the lower value. As other posts have said, the discount has been applied to my account, so there's nothing lost. But, to have some certainty over what's being taken is important - especially for anyone who is having to be extra careful with their outgoings. Eon's own explanation of how they will apply the discount to DDs says Fixed DD customers will see their bills reduced. It's the inconsistency that is concerning when DDs are involved and points to a systemic error somewhere.

https://www.eonnext.com/energy-bill-support-scheme
    Level 91
    @JohnT24 it’s probably a timing issue, but problematic if you are on a tight budget and things don’t go as expected. You do have an option of reversing the Direct Debit under the guarantee through your bank. It’s easy and quick.

you could give it a go, especially if your energy account is in credit. You could then make a one off payment for the correct amount, putting you into the position you expected to be in. Whether you consider it necessary or not is entirely personal.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @JohnT24 it’s probably a timing issue, but problematic if you are on a tight budget and things don’t go as expected. You do have an option of reversing the Direct Debit under the guarantee through your bank. It’s easy and quick.

you could give it a go, especially if your energy account is in credit. You could then make a one off payment for the correct amount, putting you into the position you expected to be in. Whether you consider it necessary or not is entirely personal.

Absolutely, agree with all of the above. From my point of view, it's not personally an issue. But I'd like to understand the answer - more from an angle of it will be an issue for other eon customers who are not so fortunate and they should be following their own published policy. Whether this is a breach of DD Guarantee and the requirement to provide advanced notice of payment collection amounts is an interesting debate. The contractual amount is the full DD but they have explicitly stated that Fixed DD customers will receive the discount to their payments over the 6 months. So, that is arguably a technical breach of the DD scheme.

No change to DD payment date, no change to bank account. Looking at my account with eon, the HMG discount was applied after the DD collection in Oct and Nov. So, why the different treatment? That's the bit that eon need to clarify really.