Period property & energy saving

View Tag Cloud
    Level 18
    @Beki_EONNext
    In all honesty, and I'll get shot down for saying this, the previous property we owned that was built to our design and spec had insulated floors, walls, double glazing over the top loft insulation underfloor heating, zoned heating etc and with loads of energy saving controls.The bungalow we have now isn't as insulated as the previous ,and we can't really notice much difference in temp loss or energy use and it's about the same size.I always consider that keeping the house at a reasonable temp and allowing the fabric of the building to stay ' warm' is far more economical and comfortable.Obviously lots of people don't have the luxury of doing it this way, but I've always found it more beneficial in the long run . For context our heating comes on at seven in the morning until eleven at night during that time the stat( Honeywell lyric) sits at 20 degrees centigrade with the boiler firing occasionally on low rate ( modulating gas valve).Overnight when the htg is off the temp inside drops to eighteen degrees . As I say its not for everyone to do this and many wouldn't want to and I'm not advising it .but it works for us.
    Last edited by Plantagenet; 05-12-22 at 22:28. Reason: Additional information
    Level 91
    @Plantagenet

Fundamentally, we pay to replace the heat that is lost to the atmosphere. the warmer the property the more heat it loses. Shutting the heating down at night when we’re tucked up in bed is my policy too.

But our thermostat has six time periods so we use that to automatically adjust the temperature during the day. We have a flueless gas fire in the lounge that we use when the wind is in the wrong direction on to supplement.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 18
    @Plantagenet

Fundamentally, we pay to replace the heat that is lost to the atmosphere. the warmer the property the more heat it loses. Shutting the heating down at night when we’re tucked up in bed is my policy too.

But our thermostat has six time periods so we use that to automatically adjust the temperature during the day. We have a flueless gas fire in the lounge that we use when the wind is in the wrong direction on to supplement.

Now I Agee with your point of heat loss to the atmosphere, that’s why I keep the room stat at a constant temperature without setting it to a higher value which would overheat the house and lose more heat.My point is I view the fabric of the house as a heat sink which if kept at an even temp cuts out all of this cooling down then heating back up again. After the initial boiler fire up in the morning my rads are only ever warm during the rest of the day, more like background heat, keeping the property comfortable. The boiler isn’t firing for extended periods to ‘ catch up’ if you like ,and then only at low rate on the burner. The stat I have also has multiple time periods and temp settings, geo fencing and remote operation through an app non of which I use except I did manage to turn the heating on from the west coast of America once! As I say I may be coming across as a heathen with my views and I’m not advocating it for anyone else, but it works for us, and in the scheme of things I don’t think me using the heating this way is contributing to the cost of energy at the present time.
    Last edited by Plantagenet; 06-12-22 at 11:01. Reason: Grammar
    Level 91
    @Beki_EONNext

Solid walls are lined with thick polystyrene type insulation, usually externally (with rendering on top), because doing it inside make the rooms smaller. A terrace is cheaper to do because only front and back in your case are required. But you'd lose exposed brickwork, and it doesn't always look pretty.

As a comment, I save about 3,000 kWh from my water heating solar thermal. I save on gas so circa £330 per year. @retrotecchie wouldn't save so much because his oil fired system is cheaper, while electric without heat pump or E7 would save well over £1000 per annum. The saving depends on what fuel you are displacing.

Under floor insulation is a good investment because it adds to comfort levels and eliminated draughts, and is a reasonably easy DIY job, although messy - which is why its is best done very early on. Kitchens though often have solid floors while the rest of the ground floor is suspended timber. This too can be insulated buy raising the floor - @retrotecchie has done this in his luxury clifftop accommodation.
    Level 91
    @Plantagenet

I wasn't being critical - just that we each have our own ways of doing things to ensure comfort in our own situation, each of which is different.
    Level 91
    @Beki_EONNext

The other thing is the savings on energy are of course linked to the price of energy. The savings on your EPC look astonishingly low. How old is it? The EPC I
    mean.
    Level 18
    @meldrewreborn
    No, I didn’t see any criticism at all in your post ! It’s good to get different views on how we all approach situations 😀
    @meldrewreborn Says it's valid until June 2024.

I think I might ask for a DIY book for Christmas and a Which? subscription for sure!
    Level 92
    @Beki_EONNext

If anyone gives you one of those 'decorative' or scented candles for Christmas, think of it as not just a 'whimsy' but as a valuable tool in your energy saving armoury.

Being very careful, of course, not to set fire to curtains or anything, just mooching around the property, especially landings and hallways with the candle will often be beneficial in chasing down draughts. Draughts are one of the largest contributors to energy losses but usually have the cheapest remedies.

My hallway is tiny, but unheated, and was very cold in winter. The old candle trick revealed draughts round the edges of the front door where the door wasn't perfectly aligned to the frame. Ten minutes with a screwdriver and an Allen key to readjust the hinges...no more draughts round the door itself. Ten quid in B&Q for a replacement inner letterbox flap cured the other source of 'leakage'.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.