Help!

Level 91
    @retrotecchie

I've an ipad 3 donated to me by my grandson, but I don't have many apps - I prefer, like you, to do things on the home assembled computer - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz & 12 GB of RAM SSD etc, getting on a bit now but still quicker than me.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @retrotecchie

I've an ipad 3 donated to me by my grandson, but I don't have many apps - I prefer, like you, to do things on the home assembled computer - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz & 12 GB of RAM SSD etc, getting on a bit now but still quicker than me.

I haven't bought any 'new' IT kit in donkeys years. When I left my employer, back in 2013, they said I could have my company laptop as it wasn't worth anything to them. Still in use today.

In 2019, they closed down the company and because I was a 'tame' subcontractor, they bought in my services for a couple of days to help them strip out the offices and workshop. If I didn't want anything, chuck it in a skip. Over two days, I dragged two Transit van loads of stuff back here.

Enough kit to see me out, and spares to keep everything going. Not to mention a compressor and air tools, pillar drill, assorted power tools, racking, a workbench and several hundred kg of assorted nuts, bolts, washers and sundries.

The little 8" Linx tablet I am typing this on was 'leftover' from a job I did and was thrown in a bin until I fished it out again.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 27-11-22 at 11:56.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie. So it was a win win ford you - lots of free stuff and being paid to do it.

sometimes organisations do strange things - likes a friend of mine who was appointed to a new role , with a nice office.

soon after taking up the role two workmen knocked on the door to adjust the office carpet. They then proceeded to cut a foot (30cm) off of the fitted carpet because his rank didn’t entitle him to a fitted carpet!
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

The private hospital I worked in as an engineer had all the skirting boards and carpets removed in the patient rooms and replaced with welded vinyl flooring.

The fitters were rather surprised at the end of the job when their rubbish skips didn't seem as full as they expected.

My office made from an old van body benefitted greatly from the 'arisings'.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 27-11-22 at 14:48.