Warm home discount confusion.

Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Well, when people had NI cards , to which weekly stamps were affixed by employers, they lasted for a year and then had to be sent in and a new card was sent out. This happened quarterly and the last character was an A or B or C or (you guessed, it didn’t you ?) D which corresponded to the quarter the card was submitted.

The cards were held by the employer, or, if unemployed, with the labour exchange. Hence the phrase “get you cards” when being made unemployed.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Ah...that makes a lot of sense. So the more chronologically gifted among us would only have A to D as the final letter....got it. My original NI card which I still have was a post-card sized bit of actual card rather than a modern credit card sized bit of plastic.

I did think my 'D' was possibly just a reflection of my average grade at school....

And your explanation also covers the term 'paying your stamp', of course...from when the contributions were your actual stamps.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.