Warm Home Discount GOV.UK Eligibility Checker

View Tag Cloud
    Level 3
    Hi, I just found this information today. I have been super stressed over whether or not I would be eligible for the Warm Home Discount this year, I hate not knowing. From the information given after filling in the eligibility checker I won’t be eligible this year. I really hate the way this help that I’ve received every year is not available to me anymore. There has been little or no information from the government regarding this change. If I hadn’t joined this community I would still be none the wiser. I don’t understand why the government has not taken into consideration disability in my case and I’m sure other factors for others.

I hope some of you find this helpful.

Warm Home Discount Eligibility Checker

One of the questions asked is for the total floor space of your property. There is a link on the form for the Energy Performance Register. You’ll have to give your name and email address to get the information you need.

Energy Performance of Buildings Data

I hope you’re outcome is better than mine.
  • 3 Replies

Hi @CeeCee, I am so sorry to hear about your outcome. Did you reach out to us to see if there's any support we can offer ? This thread might be really helpful.

Let me know if you have any questions :)
    Level 92
    @CeeCee

For reasons known only to the Government they have dramatically expanded the scope of the scheme this year, but have based the qualification on means tested benefits. This unfortunately mean that some, like yourself, no longer qualify. There are many others who will qualify who have never had the benefit of the WHD before and have struggled every winter up to now and for the first time will be getting assistance.

If you do not qualify for means tested benefits, but do get some disability benefit (PIP or DLA) then you are possibly better off financially than someone who does get means tested benefits but doesn't get disability benefits. Obviously I don't know your individual circumstances but that's how the Government have decided to play it this year. Possibly you are going to struggle and I do honestly sympathise but they have obviously decided that others are going to struggle even more so have made their decision based on a different set of criteria to last year.

I also have to make the point that this scheme is not a 'State handout', but is paid for by other bill payers through their Standing Charges to the tune of around £20. For everyone who receives the discount, 7 others who don't receive the discount are paying for it. In point of fact, even the recipients themselves only actually get £130 in real terms as their bills also contribute towards the scheme. Clearly there can only be so many who qualify. The more who do, the more the rest of us have to pay through our bills, so they have to balance who they give the discount to against raising everyone else's bill even higher. The increase in OFGEMs standing charge caps this year are contributing to the scheme. If the scheme is further expanded next year, those charges will be increased again.

But again, I'm not making judgements on who is or isn't more deserving. It's down to that lot in Westminster and they make the rules. I, for one, won't be voting for them next time around.

Edited to add: My disabled wife qualified last year and does not qualify this year. It sucks, but there it is.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 21-11-22 at 02:33.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    @CeeCee

On a slightly more positive note, although it will be a bit of a wait, what you miss out on this winter thanks to the changes in the scheme, you should receive in April following the Chancellor's Autumn Statement. Non means tested disability benefit recipients will be given £150 by the Government. This will be funded by an extended windfall tax on oil and gas companies as well as some electricity generators.

I say it may be a wait. Energy companies have to pay the WHD by the end of March.

It might also be worth looking into the Household Support Fund which is administered through local Councils in England. I think there is a similar scheme in Wales but I don't know what the arrangements are for Scotland

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...local-councils might have some information.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 21-11-22 at 02:12.