Electricity consumption cut by over 30%

Level 91
    @retrotecchie

My year on year electricity consumption has dropped from 2930 kWh last year to 2268 kWh now, and the freezer contribution is not for the whole year. I'm hoping for 5 kWh per day eventually (as per last 3 months) which is 1825 kWh per annum. My saving efforts ranged over other appliance besides the freezer.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

I'm looking at 1400kWh or thereabouts for the year but also need to factor in heating oil too. I just bought another 500 litre fill which should last me until late autumn and was delighted to pay 62p a litre compared to 81p a litre at the beginning of March. That works out at less than 6p/kWh and, when you factor in gas standing charges, oil is significantly cheaper than mains gas. That said, with wholesale gas at around 91p a therm now, prices should fall significantly by Q4 this year so less of a differential, 🤞
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

my gas is currently 13,000 kWh per annum, and I’m looking forward to prices falling. Because my solar thermal panel reduces my gas consumption to very low levels over the summer months, I’ll not be looking to the market for options before the autumn.

I doubt that the prices will drop much below 6p per kWh, more than twice what my fix with Zog was 2 years ago, but will celebrate nonetheless. If prices had remained high for a long period a boiler change would have been on the cards. One of the ironies is that regulations have mandated so many “improvements “ that you can no longer just get a transplant boiler without a host of auxiliary features that boost the cost considerably. This puts a lot off of the idea.
    @meldrewreborn Might I ask what energy monitor you use because something in my home seems to be draining energy. I'm not sure if it's something that I've brought with me though - as I've always been a very low energy user and I'm concerned that something is draining it. How do I go about finding the source of an energy vampire?
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn Might I ask what energy monitor you use because something in my home seems to be draining energy. I'm not sure if it's something that I've brought with me though - as I've always been a very low energy user and I'm concerned that something is draining it. How do I go about finding the source of an energy vampire?
    My meter has this name on the box TANMET INT'L Business LTD and an email tanmetbiz@outlook.com.

It cost me about £15 from Amazon - i think its this one - there are others that look just the same -but have slightly different features - and cost less. It did the job for me - perhaps you could buy one for the team on expenses and then pass it around - mine sits lonely at the back of the cupboard awaiting the next crisis. Once you've done the measuring a few times and got consumption down you don't need to constantly repeat the exercise.
    Level 91
    @Beki_EONNext

Applying some logical thought might help. The appliances you brought with you are likely to be consuming exactly the same as they were before - although damage in transit isn't impossible. So what is different in your new home to your previous abode? Immersion heaters don't move with us, Heating systems are part of the fabric as are lighting systems. Is there something in the loft which you can't see. You can DM myself and @retrotecchie with details if you wish, but some figures might give us both an idea.
    Level 55
    @Beki_EONNext

Is your new home 'smart' with a functioning IHD? If it is, the 'usage now' function (for electricity usage) might be another way of establishing any 'phantom' appliances. My usage now never goes below 37W to give some context. Usage right now is 3.68KW, but has gone done to 1.22KW as I type because the kettle has gone off 😄, but the pressure cooker is cooking one a beef chilli - update (now at pressure using only 281W). Update gone up to 2.62KW because of the rice on induction hob now down to 1.83KW now down to 671KW (EDIT now down to 191W inc this PC). You should get the idea that cooking throws up all sorts of 'usage now' numbers. What may be more useful is the 'usage now' figure when no cooking or heating taking place. 👍
    Last edited by Mailman; 04-05-23 at 17:01.
    @meldrewreborn I've just ordered one of those. I hope nothing was damaged in transit so what's different:

- brand new oven A++ energy rating
    - induction hob we didn't have before (not my choice but also why don't they have an energy rating?)
    - extra bedroom
    - boiler heating and hot water - no shower only baths (gas price may be higher if filling the bath constantly?)
    - suspended floor boards
    - draughty fireplaces
    - air fryer (I know, I know I followed the fad!)

So I suppose quite a lot is new...

@Mailman 🤣 That did make me laugh!
    I'd love to start tracking my usage more though and understand what's happening as I feel that it's a high usage property (compared to our old house - but also that was a small new build!)
    Last edited by Beki; 05-05-23 at 08:40.
    Level 77
    @Beki_EONNext
    Purely from the cooking side of things an induction hob is the best thing since sliced bread. Way better than any other. Had one for years and would never go back to those old fashioned devices. All important thing is to have the right pans. Quick clean easy to control and efficient. 👍