Dear E-On Next why are you so incredibly useless?

Level 8
    Dear Eon Next. Despite the many promises and declarations over the last month; and my how this has dragged on, you still seem completely unable to apply the correct tariff my bill. I have used 195 units kW/h of electricity from meter reading to meter reading from the 23rd September to 23rd October. You have provisionally charged me £130.22 for this usage. As far as I can tell, this would be the V19 rate of 59.15 p/kWh and 48.91 p/day you quoted way back before the price guarantee came into force. You have consistently stated that we would not be overcharged and would only be charged the low guarantee price - around the 34 p/kWh (although my account still shows a rate of 41.30 p/kWh for some reason). And I won't even get into the maths, that I should have been paying my old tariff rate of 19.35 p/kWh 19.61 p/day from the 23rd September until 1st October, and the fact the government have paid you £66 which should be deducted from the total?? So in summary, why is it so wrong, why is it so difficult and can you actually confirm for once what tariff I should actually be paying!!!!
  • 15 Replies

Level 18
    @onyourbike
    I would not expect E.on Next to reply to you following your comments posted on a community web site. Just ring them and ask them to explain your queries. Not really too difficult.
    They were excellent when I contacted them
    Level 8
    This whole palaver has been "too difficult" thank you very much. The EPG was announced on the 8th September and the implementation has been nothing less than useless and chaotic. Perhaps my posting here will enable other people to see the mess and check their own bills. Who knows....
    Level 91
    @onyourbike

Announced on the 8th but not down to the fine detail necessary to implement it successfully. That too about 10 more days - we were scrabbling about on here (and indeed Martin Lewis) to figure out the fine detail. And it was a very significant change and its implementation had to be sufficiently robust to satisfy the government who on our behalf were paying the bill.

Could they have done better? - perhaps but changes for me went smoothly and i didn't neet to contact customer services, And I suspect that 80% of those that did didn't need to either. Patience doesn't seem to be as common nowadays as it once was.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 8
    Well you may think it has been handled reasonably, I certainly do not.
    Level 10
    @onyourbike

That sounds very frustrating. It might be worth waiting until the billing figure is finalised (since you mentioned it is currently provisional) because I think the way the bills have to work is that they are first calculated using the actual energy price (whatever that would be for you / your tariff) and THEN adjusted down to be in line with the price cap. I just wonder if the provisional figure hasn't taken into account the price cap adjustment yet.

As for the £66 government contribution, the way that's applied depends on how you pay for your energy, but personally I'm surprised you haven't had any sign of that yet, because most people on here at least seem to. I think there are some circumstances where it's applied at the point of your DD being taken though - if you pay by DD - so as the bill hasn't yet been generated that may explain why you don't see it on your account. It's been a fairly messy transition, can only hope things will settle down and run smoothly in future months. I hope it does get clarified to your satisfaction very soon.
    Level 8
    Well they have finally issued a statement for my usage with yet another new set of figures. And despite the many many promises they are nowhere near the 34p cap.

Energy used 144.7 kWh @ 56.33 p/kWh - £81.49
    Energy Price Guarantee 144.7 kWh @ 17.00 p/kWh - -£24.59

Standing charge 22 days @ 46.583p/day £10.25

Subtotal of charges before VAT £67.15

VAT @ 5% £3.36

Total Electricity charges £70.51

At no point have I ever been quoted these rates.

And yes I have also had the £66 applied to my account. But unless that is actually taken off my usage then I am not saving money am I. It is simply going into my account along with a FULL payment for my usage.

Utter shambles.
    Last edited by onyourbike; 26-10-22 at 08:36.
    Level 91
    @onyourbike

When you signed up to V19, which I think was one of the latest fix tariffs made available, you would have been sent an email with the details of the prices. Can we go back to what those prices actually were please, because that detail is actually needed. And tell us what region you are in.

What could be the case is that the rates are those headline rates quoted above, 56.33 p/kWh and 46.583p/day are the original V19 rates.

If that is the case then actually this is a step in the right direction. I think in another post you also quoted gas prices, so do you have gas too, if so could you also tell us the original rates you were quoted and what if anything you have been billed.

The Government initially announced that the EPG would apply for 2 years. At that point all recent fix tariffs appeared to be too expensive and so E.On Next decided to lower the fix tariff rates to those of the EPG, firstly by applying the EPG reductions. But in a number of cases this wasn't enough to get the prices down to the EPG floor rates so E.On Next decided to lower the prices themselves, partly because they had advised customers not to switch to the SVR as they would sort it all out. However, that then introduced some new complications (particularly for fix tariffs taken up in August and September) and then just recently the EPG scope has been reduced to 6 Months.

So now we don't know what Government support will be available from next April, nor do we know what prices will apply then.

The question you have to decide for yourself is whether you want to stay on your fix, with a temporary EPG reduction for 6 months, or do you want to exit your fix entirely and go onto the EPG variable rates for 6 months and then face whatever increases might come in from April? If you use gas, then an added complication is that normally customers use a lot less gas in the summer and looking at annual figures doesn't reflect just the summer period alone.

I know your issue has been something else - just the prices your are being billed, but I think it is important to be clear about the target you want to get to, so that you avoid any traps on the way.

The £66/£67 discount will be applied to your account over the next 6 months and will reduce your liabilities - my DD automatically reduced this month, and so will yours - eventually. This particular government action doesn't reduce prices, so it doesn't affect your billing for your usage. It will though affect your account and your Direct Debits (which will be lower than otherwise).
    Level 8
    @meldrewreborn

I'm in the North East. The original V19 quote for renewal on the 1st October was 59.15 p/kWh 48.91 p/day Electricity and 14.97 p/kWh 27.22 p/day Gas. On my statement it is as above 56.33 p/kWh 46.583 p/day Electricity, Gas now says 14.260 p/kWh 25.923 p/day. The EPG applied has reduced it by 17 p/kWh for Electricity and 4.22 p/kWh for Gas. So the Gas is somewhere near where expected but Electricity isn't. We were told continuously that nobody on fixed tariffs would be paying more than the Next Flex rate (that was when the Truss 2 year cap was in place). Why would they not honour those statements just because Hunt has reduced it to six months whilst he decided what to do next?

I would imagine staying on the V19 Fix will work out cheaper, although as little Gas is used in the Summer months this may not be the case. And I have little confidence in Hunt actually helping the majority of people.
    Level 91
    @onyourbike

56.33p is ex vat and 59.15p is VAT inclusive. The intention I'm sure is to help customers, but these quotations often seems to cause confusion.

The reductions (17p etc) are ex vat so the correct way to apply the reduction is as per their statement.

So now that that is cleared up the matter is back to you for a decision on what way to go. I honestly don't know whether fix down to EPG floor rates and then back to v19 post April 1 next is still on the table - that would be the best possible outcome for you, if you can get it.

Truss had great intentions by announcing the 2 year EPG but the chosen method was hideously expensive, and of course rewarded most those with the highest levels of consumption, who perhaps are likely also to be more wealthy than the average. The EPG also didn't affect standing charges. She had set her face against selective handouts, and she did at least stick to her ideas, even if they were financially illiterate (and I can now lump her and Diane Abbott together as people who can't deal with numbers!). The replacement will be more focussed upon those that are in the greatest need, at a cost the taxpayer can afford.