Warm Home Discount scheme 2022/23

Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

And I know someone with an EPC of B and has huge energy costs. Mine is an E (missing an F by one point) and I have what I think are relatively low energy costs. But probably significantly higher than yours!

The EPC has nothing to do with the VOA assessments, other than forming part of the imputation process by BEIS where VOA data does not exist, and having one or not having one makes no difference to eligibility for the purposes of WHD if the VOA hold a record for the property. Where it does really matter is getting grants or assistance with energy efficiency improvements or upgrades. Nothing to do with energy costs.

Even if I could get my house to a D or even a C (I can't) it doesn't affect the parameters that the VOA use. Materials and date of construction, location geographically pertaining to UK weather patterns, ability to select from multiple energy options, that sort of thing.

I could lag my entire house externally with Rockwool to a depth of a metre which may improve my EPC by one notch, but there is nothing I can do to change the fact it's off the gas grid, located 1000ft above sea level on an exposed Atlantic coastline and was built in 1840 out of stone with no foundations or DPC!
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 19-10-23 at 16:15.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @Mailman

Thanks for that - the link provided provides this on how a high cost home is identified: so its the BEIS who fill in any gaps in the VOA data.

Name:  WHDhichcosthome#1.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  55.6 KBName:  WHDhichcosthome#2.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  72.5 KB
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

I'm going to use Skipton to get a free EPC so I'll find out what mine is soon enough (I've lived here since before EPC's were ever thought of). In the past when I've got involved with these, I've come to the conclusion that its no use just letting the assessor wander round and come to their own conclusions about construction material, insulation and the like. Garbage in = garbage out in my view. The software used is very sophisticated, but in the hands of people with limited knowledge its just a waste of time.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

The current EPC is designed to produce a cost related rating. Therefore an A grade boiler is better than an F grade boiler, which in turn is better than storage heaters because gas costs less than electricity. Ripping out a boiler for a heat pump currently makes an EPC rating worse.!!! Insulation is good, single glazed windows are bad. You will understand this already i'm sure.

The new EPC (stuck in the system somewhere) ratings will be focused on Carbon usage and so the heat pump will make an EPC better - gas will be heavily frowned upon. What's worrying about this is the measures to force landlords to adhere to the NEW EPC with a minimum rating of C wherever practicable. Banks' portfolio of mortgages will need to be increasingly C or better. The trouble is, without the detail, nobody knows what their property will be rated under the new scheme, because the band boundaries have not been finally decided upon and released.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

A D grade boiler using 10kW of power to heat a home that loses 1kW because of good insulation is better than an A rated boiler using 5kW in a house that loses 4kW thanks to poor insulation.

A house built to or brought up to nigh-on Passivhaus insulation standards will be more efficient with 8 kW of electrical heating than a 40kW gas boiler in a typical 70's semi with no upgrade to the insulation standards of the time.

So the current EPC is a bit unfit for purpose really, which is why it isn't directly used to determine high heat costs.
    Level 6
    @Anasa_EONNext Still waiting for a response from WHD team. I sent a letter as it says online that they do not answer calls again until November
    Level 91
    @TerryMc

just for clarity (and to help others) I presume you’ve written to the government help team - yes?
    Level 6
    @TerryMc

just for clarity (and to help others) I presume you’ve written to the government help team - yes?

Letter sent to 110552 Warm Home Discount Scheme, PO Box 26965, Glasgow, G1 9BW