How will the £400 Government assistance be applied ?

• Tags for this Thread
  • ebss
View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    The picture is rather confusing. see this table in the first instance:

Supplier Monthly direct debit Standard credit Smart prepayment meter Traditional prepayment meter
    British Gas Credited to your bank account Credited to your energy account Awaiting response Awaiting response
    Bulb Direct debit reduction Credited to your energy account Credited to electricity account – though plans to allow users to switch it to gas accounts Voucher to be used on gas or electricity
    E.on/E.on Next Direct debit reduction Credited to your energy account Credited to gas and electricity accounts (split evenly) Voucher to be used on gas or electricity
    EDF Energy Credited to your bank account Credited to your energy account Awaiting response Voucher to be used on gas or electricity
    Octopus Energy Plans to confirm in September Plans to confirm in September Plans to confirm in September Plans to confirm in September
    Ovo Energy Credited to your bank account Credited to your energy account Credited to electricity account Voucher to be used on gas or electricity
    Scottish Power Credited to your bank account Awaiting response Credited to electricity account Voucher to be used on gas or electricity
    Shell Energy Direct debit reduction Credited to your energy account Credited to gas and electricity accounts (split evenly) Voucher to be used on gas or electricity
    So Energy Direct debit reduction Credited to your energy account Credited to electricity account N/A
    SSE Credited to your bank account Credited to your energy account Credited to electricity account Voucher to be used on gas or electricity
    Utility Warehouse Direct debit reduction Credited to your energy account Credited to electricity account Voucher to be used on gas or electricity
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 5 Replies

Level 43
    Why do I keep thinking of a brewery!

I made a point about the FAQs that were posted on here regarding the question that why couldn't a customer have the £400 paid to them directly, the answer was that it had to be used to pay for energy. The fact that the intention is to reduce a DD by the £66/67 is doing just that, paying the money direct to the customer.

I can only comment about monthly DD but looking at the list all suppliers are doing the same thing for Monthly DD, crediting the customers bank account either by paying it back direct or reducing their DD and crediting their energy account. I assume the difference in methods may be down to the easiest way for them to do it.

Why on earth they don't just pay the £66/67 as an extra payment to everyones' electricity account is beyond me, I though the whole idea was that it was to help with energy bills. You can't get any simpler than that.
    Level 3
    I pay £55 DD currently so can I assume i will be £11/12 in credit every month providing I don`t use more than that?
    Level 91
    @UKDave51

Basically yes but it seems to be a different method of receiving the government assistance wherever you look. It'll all come out in the wash.
    Level 1
    Surely a reduction in your direct debit is no help unless they credit your account with your "full / usual" direct debit amount? Can anyone explain as Eon don't seem able to answer that question!
    Level 91
    @Cotters

Your DD will be reduced by £66/67 but your payment to your account will be topped-up by the same amount by the government. Effectively, the payment to Eon Next will be the same but you will be better off by £66/67 in the six months the subsidy applies for.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.