Gas smart meter no longer connecting

Level 43
    Hi @Caroline

In the short term, I would suggest taking readings from your meters yourself and working out the costs using previous bills, for 'typical days' just to give you some sort of idea. It will always be in arrears but it's better than what you have at the moment. Reading through other posts suggests there are large backlogs and you could be waiting up to two months or more.

I use a spreadsheet where if I enter a date and a meter reading it calculates the cost, including the Standing Charge. I use Excel but you could use 'Numbers' if you have an iPhone. Most of use generally use energy in repetitive patterns so working it out yourself for several days can be reasonably accurate enough to use as a substitute. It's not ideal but as I said it would be a lot better than what you've got at the moment.

If you want to do as I suggested and need any help, don't hesitate to come back.
    @Andy65

the gas smart meter is still not working - what is EON going to do about this as the whole point of the smart meter is that you don’t need to take readings! No one seems to know what happens next
    very disappointing service - can someone advise what eon will do to fix
    Level 91
    @Caroline

volunteers here can help to diagnose what the cause of the problem is, but you need to pursue the matter via customer services using any information gathered to get them to fix it.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @Caroline i have the same issue with gas meter was log complaint against it and today they closed it how the buissnes decision. They response was radicilus how usually they blaim third party company but it's theirs responsibility to resolve this. They response was Hi Marcin, i've got some advice on this for you and have advised that because we've had it confirmed now that the issue with your smart meter and in home display lies with the DCC (Data Communications Company) and we would need to close your complaint as what we call a "business decision" as it is something we as a company can't do anything further about until the DCC put in place the bulk fix that will sort out issues like this..

I was left without properly working service and without any compensation and forded to provide them gas meter readings what is in Eon next responsibility from day they installed smart meter. But they only know how to ripping us off and blaim some else.
    Level 91
    @Martintel

The DCC sit between smart meters and suppliers. If they will not fix an individual issue, there is nothing the supplier can do. But I would press your supplier to provide evidence that they have pressed the DCC on this matter and provide a copy of the DCC response. The DCC are not consumer facing and do not respond to consumer enquiries. Write to your MP if you're willing to spend more time on this. The DCC are a publicly owned body, set up by Parliament to facilitate smart meter connectivity.
    Level 91
    @Caroline

To you smart meters are about not having to submit readings and perhaps having an pretty in home display to clutter your home up even more.

But that is only a tiny part of the reason for the smart meter programme.

The eventual aim is for all of us to have these devices so that we can be charged more for our energy at peak times, and less in off peak times. And not by pre set block of 7 hours but every 30 minutes rates could change. Whether this would really benefit consumers is in my view extremely doubtful, but it would reduce demand at peak times when the most expensive forms of generation are brough on stream. So that would benefit the country as a whole, and we might not need so many power stations because to avoid blackouts we need to have enough power stations built to meet peak demand. Having fewer power stations delivering power for longer periods would also be a benefit.

But you not having to submit a reading - NO that's not the purpose of smart meters, that's just an incidental benefit. sorry but its entirely true.