Received A Bill Despite Switching Provider Last Year

Level 1
    Hi all,

Need some advice on this. I was sent an email yesterday with a bill asking for over £300 of gas usage for the last year, dated from 1st February 2021 to 3rd July 2022. However, when I moved into my property on the 1st February, we immediately switched over to Octopus, who we had billing with starting 10th/11th of February, until 26th September when we then switched to Scottish Power on a fixed price tariff for 4 years.

I have called customer support and informed them of this error, and I have also emailed in to try and inform them of this error, however I am anxious about what is going to happen with this and it's playing on my mind.

I know full well that we switched providers for BOTH gas and electric so this bill should never have been produced. On top of this, I have periodically had engineers out to read my meter. At the time I didn't know this was because Eon thought I was still their customer, I thought this was a safety check via Cadent because of a gas leak in my property when my smart meter was fitted by Octopus.

Please can someone advise me on this? I believe I have done everything I can do and just need to wait, but this bill is ridiculous to say the least. I should never have been sent this!
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 1
    Best Answer
    Just a quick update, I have been in touch with Eon via Whatsapp support whilst I am working, they have owned up to making the error and got my account in credit and sorted.

I apologise for the panicked post, mods please feel free to close as this is all sorted now. :)
    Level 91
    @Dannilad

If you have bills from the real suppliers for the period it should be simple to prove the matter. Make a formal complaint to Eon (or Eon next whichever is the correct name for you supplier pre 10/11 February 2021). You will though have still been on supply for the 10 or 11 days before the switch took place.

Customers moving suppliers is standard business for these companies and there is no reason for them not getting it correct.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn I 100% agree that I will have been on their supply for a few days. I'm pretty sure we even have proof that they asked for that money and that we paid it at the time. It was something like £8.11. But they recently refunded us that and then slapped me with this bill.

I've got all the billing proof via Octopus and Scottish Power to prove that they are/were not our supplier for the period they billed. Even on my Web account it says there was a change of supply on the 10th February 2021! This better just be an admin error.

I will await some contact from Eon (I think it was Eon next) as I had called them previous to this.i have no qualms about paying them whatever we used before switching (again, I am pretty sure we already paid it and it got reimbursed for some reason?) but the rest is utter nonsense.

Thank you for the reassurance though. This is playing on my mind a lot.